Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 cheapest way to start hunting. >

cheapest way to start hunting.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

cheapest way to start hunting.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:34 AM

Default cheapest way to start hunting.

I bet someone could start hunting deerfor under 175$ That includes gun scope, ammo ,orange vest, liscense, knife, boots ,gloves ,hat.And it could all be bought from a store. What ya all think?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cheapest way to start hunting.

Don't think so....
Old 12-08-2005, 09:49 AM

If find find all of that for that price, GOD bless ya, but its not happening!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:52 AM

I wish it could be done. But everything from scratch? No.

If guns are already there, and winter clothing is already there...then yes. Forget about camo, use what you got. Unless tags/licenses are really expensive in your state I think you could buy, ammo, knife, license/tag, orange, and some calls.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think so, unless they buy used everything, then maybe, but I think that you would still need to add another $100 to that.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:58 AM

I think thats possible, you can find a used gun cheap in the $100 range. All you need is ammo, orange vest and hat, a knife and a license. You may be able to get everything for $175.

The best thing to do if your looking to get into hunting cheap is become friends with another hunter. I think I can safely speak for most of us here in saying we have way more gear than we need. I personally own about 4 of everything, I could fully outfit 2 or 3 hunters with old stuff I dont use anymore.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

A lot would depend upon where you are hunting. More clothing is necessary in the colder temps.
Could it be done. Possibly. Could you get enough quality items to stay warm enough to stay out more than a few hoursand shoot straight enough? not likely
Old 12-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Not even at Wally-World!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: fruit loops

I bet someone could start hunting deerfor under 175$ That includes gun scope, ammo ,orange vest, license, knife, boots ,gloves ,hat.And it could all be bought from a store. What ya all think?
i don't know were you can get all the necessities for under 200 bucks even if it's wal-mart. even a used gun will run around 100-150 bucks and i would be hesitant to buy one for that price.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

The trick is buying the gun. The clothes and boots may be obtainable cheap from Salvation Army or Goodwill. For many years I backpacked/hunted in a wool shirt I bought really cheap at Goodwill -- probably $3. My wife bought me a new Pendleton wool shirt for about $70 last year from Cabelas. The new shirt looks better, but it doesn't work any better than the other one did. My son now uses the older wool shirt (regrettably the older shirt is a little tight for my increased bulk).

If one wants to hunt, the cost of the gear does not have to be the show-stopper. Finding a place to hunt in-state may be the show-stopper. Here in Texas there are not many good public hunting areas that I am aware of, and most land owners in Texas are keen on leasing hunting access not giving it away.

Another angle on the gun matter is to borrow the gun from someone -- father, grandfather, uncle, friend of the family, etc. Under the right circumstances I would be willing to lend one of my rifles to someone to hunt. I would have to feel they were trustworthy -- not shoot cows or other hunters by mistake -- and that they would care for the rifle properly, but given these caveats I might lend one of my deer rifles out to a beginning hunter.

Quick Reply: cheapest way to start hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.