Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 cheapest way to start hunting. >

cheapest way to start hunting.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

cheapest way to start hunting.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: cheapest way to start hunting.

Even if you already have the gun, I'd say its impossible! Here the licences,and box of bullets, with a Type II public land permit will be over 100.00!Don't forget to throw in some gas money for a scouting trip or two, at least! Youwon't be very successful if you just grab a gun, throw on a jacket, and walk off into strange woods!Some states may well be cheaper than Texas, but I doubt that any states are that much cheaper.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:46 PM

Sorry but no way. I would say $1000 would be more like it, but i am the kind of guy that will go out and spend a lot of money on hunting gear, as my mom would say "Do you always have to have the best new thing that comes out" I hate it when she says that.

Boots= $100.00 at the least
clothes= $200.00 if you want to stay warm
Gun = $500.00 if you want something decent
Scope = $200.00 if you want something decent

Heck that is $1000 right there, not including ammo and license and tags.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deer-hunter18

Sorry but no way. I would say $1000 would be more like it, but i am the kind of guy that will go out and spend a lot of money on hunting gear, as my mom would say "Do you always have to have the best new thing that comes out" I hate it when she says that.

Boots= $100.00 at the least
clothes= $200.00 if you want to stay warm
Gun = $500.00 if you want something decent
Scope = $200.00 if you want something decent

Heck that is $1000 right there, not including ammo and license and tags.
the key words being "something decent". You can get a used gun for alot less than 500, but he said from a store, which i dont believe.
the original post said to start hunting, it said nothing about top of the line gear. A scope isnt neccessary.
you dont need 200 dollars worth of clothes to stay warm. I hunt with pajama pants, jeans, and camo pants. All of which i had already, and the camos i got from a used military supply store for cheap. I layer sweatshirts with an orange vest over it. the vest cost me like 10-15 dollars. I hunt in northern new york, but i dont spend 200 bucks on clothes.

id say with the possible exception of the gun, 175 bucks is do-able.

Who said anything about gas money? whos to say the person doesnt live near some public land? yes, gas is a cost for some people, but it isnt required for everyone. We are talking cheapest possible. Even if they have to drive a little ways, the gas could come under budget.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess on further consideration I would disagree. Given that the original posting stated all the gear could be bought from a store, it isn't do-able. Buying a suitable rifle and scope from a store is going to set you back $300 I would imagine. License may cost $20. Ammo may cost $10. Clothes bought on the cheap would likely run $20. Boots would likely cost at least $5. (I'm thinking Wal-Mart ammo and Goodwill clothes and boots -- these ARE stores.) A cheap knife in a second hand shop will cost $5. That is $360, and this is EXTREMELY cheap!!! If you could buy a rifle/scope for $100 you might be able to accomplish the feat described, but I don't know any store selling deer rifles for $100.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

Got my mossberg 500 from a store having a sale on them for $150....
I say the first year you should really see if you could borrow a gun from someone and spend ALL $175 on gear, and then the next year buy the gun. I got some cabelas 8-point hunting boots with steel shank bottoms and gore-tex with 1000 gram thinsulate for $80. If you have a store called Big R, like some are scattered around the midwest, you need to hit up there day after thanksgiving sale for some camo cold weather clothing. In pontiac, IL they were selling super cheap. I didnt buy any cause i didnt need them at the time, but really warm insulated bibs were selling for like $24 and the coats were about the same. I bought my new gloves this year from Dick's and they are gore-tex and 40 gram thinsulate for $20. Besides that, all you need is the orange stocking cap and vest which will run you about $10 total at Wal-mart. Buy a couple boxes of slugs for about $15 and you should be ready to go. Thats $80 for boots, around $50 for camo warm clothes, $20 for nice gloves, $10 for orange, and $15 for shells......which is a grand total of $175!! Wow, thats really messed up because i honestly thought I was gonna be way less and gave the acurate prices......hmmmm......honesty works??

Anyways....save up the money for next year to try to buy a used gun and a scope....if you can get around $200 I would say you have a decent shot at a pump shotgun with a slug barrel. Good Luck!
Old 12-08-2005, 04:31 PM

I didn't say you had to look like a professional hunter.Just to get started hunting under 175$ buying things from the store.Might not look pretty but it is possible. The liscense are in the state of Pa. they are 20 bucks.I didn't say what state but i was thinking my own state.Pa.
And you can buy Army issued rifles under 40$ Like I said wont be pretty looking but it will get the job done andI still think under 175$
Old 12-08-2005, 04:56 PM

Lets see
boots rockie blizzard something or other-farm n fllet $60 clearance
Jacket- sportsmanguide blaze camo parka-$35
pants-salvation army blaze camo insulated _$5
Knife remington with guthook walmart-$7 clearance
gun new inline blackpowder for under $100 walmart-even cabels has less exspenive guns. Then liscense/ammo/ninja stars.
Well if you looked I think you could do it for close to $200.But i think you would be more reallistic to set the dollar amount at $300, alittle extra for the little things we have forgotten. Besides the gun this is what I have piad for the stuff I use most.
Nathan
p.s. you can get a better price on ninja stars if you buy them in bulk--you never know when those pesky ninjas will pop up!lol
Old 12-08-2005, 06:38 PM

Depends on where you were hunting and what season you want to hunt. I don't think you could get a decent rifle and scope for $175 new. You might be able to get the gun and ammo if you went with a cheap smooth bore shotgun or cheap inline. But if you get the inline you have to get the gun, powder, bullets and cleaning supplies. And regardless of what you get you need to spend the time practicing and working up a load. That means more ammo, possibly targets and depending on where you live a place to shoot.

And you could easily spend just as much on the other stuff like clothes and the what not.

If you could get all of that for that cheap it would all be crap and you wouldn't be very happy with it. Possibly turning you away from hunting all together because your experiance would be so poor. I mean you don't have to get the best stuff out there, I certainly don't. Then again you don't want the cheapest crap you can find either that will not function right or keep you warm. Good dry boots and warm dry clothes are worth every darn penny if you hunt in bad weather.

And if you want to bow hunt, figure on $400 dollars and up just to get started with the archery equipment. Go much cheaper than that it and may not be worth spending the money to begin with. And I wouldn't even bother with walmart or any other chain store. Professional help means alot in that sport.

Just my opinion though.

Paul
Old 12-08-2005, 07:27 PM

varmint permit - 5 dollars
round trip bus to tijuana - 40 dollars
used gun, scope, and boots at the flea market - 100 dollars
tijuana blowjob - 10 dollars
ammo and orange hat back at the nearest hunting store back home - 20 dollars
Old 12-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

$175.00
That wouldn't even buy one a pair of boots that can withstand
some of the conditions inareasI hunt...I replace those every 2 years....
Clothing, boots wear out first/foremost in areas I hunt and those take first priority in replacing before the next season....Shelters are next.....
Bottem Linehunting is an expensive sport to start off and doesn't get any cheaper as the years go on...
And thats not buying the best of the best,its buying what you need so that it will be fun/successful.......
Clothes,Shelter, Boots, vehical maintenance/repair costs, make or break a trip/even a day hunt..These are the things that send a guy home early..
I just buy the best I can afford, maintain it properly,and keep all my vehicals ingreat condition....That in itself cost me about $2000.00
a year....

Quick Reply: cheapest way to start hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.