Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How old to hunt?

Old 12-09-2005, 08:32 AM

Default RE: How old to hunt?

I also find it funny that many of you say our children will become uninterested in hunting if we don't start them early. Knock, knock, you can still take them in the woods with you and they can enjoy every aspect of the sport at whatever age! The taking of the aminal is only a small part of the hunt. It's everything else that comes with it. Plus I remember being just as exciting for my father when heused to baga deer or turkey when I would tag along with him.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: battle buck

Our life is bigger than thegame commisions rule book. We are above the game lawswhen it comes to our own children.

Scary
Old 12-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also find it funny that many of you say our children will become uninterested in hunting if we don't start them early. Knock, knock, you can still take them in the woods with you and they can enjoy every aspect of the sport at whatever age!
Until someone comes along and thinks that is a bad idea too. The point is, when does legislation and restriction stop? We are legislating ourselves to death as it is.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:42 AM

Even one private land you do not own the deer. The animals are property of the federal government.

In illinois you have to be 10 years old to take the hunter safety course and you have to be in immeadiate supervision of an adult unless the child has a FOID card.

I think some of the age limits are high, but we can't go around breaking the law. That won't solve anything for our cause.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:44 AM

Your telling me DannyD!

That is very rational thought HuntinGUS, hopefully that day never comes.I def think that would be taking it to far.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, what a thread! I have to say that regardless of your thoughts on what age is old enough to hunt you HAVE to think about what your doing when your raising your kids. First of all to think that just because you own a piece of land you are different than the guy who doesn't is pretty self absorbed. Where does it say that if you own land in America you're a cut above the rest? Who was it that said country people are better than those who happen to live in the city? How are you going to seperate the laws your supposed to follow from those you don't have to if youteach your kids they are already better than the average Pennsylvania citizen because they live on a farm?
I was born and raised in the country. I lived on a farmnearly my entire life. I own my own property. I've raised a child who is fine hunter and who respects "every" law that we have even if he doesn't agree withthem. My son had a gun at 8 yrs. old. My son was a better woodsman at 12 than most adults I know that have hunted their entire lives. My son is not above the law but lives under the law just like the Biblesays.Oh, yea, I think that 12 yrs. old is a good choice if your able to see through your own blinders and admit if your child truly is mature enough handle hunting. Some are at that age and some aren't.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

How old to hunt?
I have to admit I don't know. Battle Buck has proven that at least some adults are not responsible enough to do so and others have proven that their 6 year old are
But here's and interesting thought.
I'm 43. I had never picked up or thought of picking up a gun until I was 42.
Ok, so I decide to go deer hunting.
According to the law. I could walk into wallyworld.,buy a high powered rifle and some ammo, purchase a hunting license and walk into the woods the day I decided i wanted to try hunting. In WV because I am an old fart, I do not have to take a test, pass a course, talk to anyone, do anything but start shooting.
HUH?
There are a ton of 6-12 year olds that know way more than I did the day i was allowed (by law) to start walking into the woods, with all of you guys (scared yet?), and just start firing away. just because i am 43
Old 12-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

here in GA you gotta be 15 to get your license but you can be any age and shoot a gun as long as there is an adult around.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

about the age when to hunt. id say whenever you can handle a gun safely
Old 12-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Southern Buck,
read my above post. How do I know I am handling the gun safely?
Who's checking that I do?
I mean, i think i am but there is nothing that ensures i am

Quick Reply: How old to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.