Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

when is cold, too cold?

Old 12-08-2005, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: when is cold, too cold?

ORIGINAL: hoyt3

How cold is too cold for you guys to go out?
Unless I'm shivering to the point that I can't get on target or can't touch my pinky finger to my thumb (gloveless) I'm good.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

cold it TO COLD when your nose runs down into your mustash andbeard and turns into snotcycles !

dd
lol....lol Been there and done that many days. If your dressed for it, and don't mind it, its never too cold.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:44 AM

Well today in the morn it was to freaking cold to sit still more than 2hrs.I quit and came home.I do need to get in my Cabelas book and order me some new boots and socks and the hand muff and boot covers like Mossy33 has.I think I could tolerate it then.But next year I will build me one perminent stand with roof and and windows and have a little mister heater in it and maybe a swivel lazyboy recliner.LOL Just a swivel stool with a back rest will do. Then when it's not so cold below 20 I will just use the ladder stands on the property if see no action from my perm stand.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

How cold is to cold? Hmm.... When your in you spot and have your pull over face mak on and the air your breathing escapes around your eyes and builds condensation on your eylids and they start to freeze up.
When it's so cold you put so many clothes on that you can't bend your knees or your elbows.
The wind is the worst part. as long as it's cold with no wind, it's not bad. 20 degrees and 15-25 mile an hour winds, i'm staying home.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:04 AM

I will have to say that the hunting season in NY this year has been exceptionally cold. especially today, which is why I am sitting in my chair at work
Old 12-08-2005, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cold, what is that!! We do not get that cold here in Southeast Va. It is only supposed to get to about 38 tomorrow and a rain snow mix. I guess I dress plenty well for this area and the weather does not get to me. I also got that natural layer of protection that I need to get rid of!!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

I'm gonna see how truthful the theory i heard is about deer feeding more when it's cold in order to keep calories up and stay warm. I hunt around huge fields with clover.also the acorn harvest was awesome this year. but both those feeding areas are in the open were i hunt. i don't know if the deer are that desperate to venture out to eat or if they'll hang tight in the thick stuff and just nibble on bark
Old 12-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

When is cold, too cold, for hunting?
Never! And that's the truth! Just knowing how to deal with it is the important part.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well it tis the time.....

took my scent free shower and a fresh batch of scent free washed clothes in the bin. Long underwear, jeans, bibs, t-shirt, turtle neck, sweatshirt, sweater, jacket, parka, face mask, winter hat over face mask, gloves, muff with hand warmers in them, 2 pairs of socks, thermal socks, and1200 gram thinsulat boots with foot warmers in them. I'm off to waddle through the snow to my stand. Ya'll stay warm. Cya.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jeff Ovington

Those animals are always on the move when its that cold.
BINGO,... It’s never to cold for me..

Quick Reply: when is cold, too cold?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.