Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Am I OK?

Old 12-07-2005, 06:46 PM

Default RE: Am I OK?

ORIGINAL: recurver67
Sooo what kind of huntin stuff you got for sale cheap?
LOL

My dad used to raise hogs and my brother and I would name them and play with them. Come November we would be throwing down on some sausage compliments of ole Beebop and Rocksteady. They weren't much fun anyway.[:'(]

You should'nt get attached to anything that has an open season on it. Just don't hunt near your house and hope no one else kills them. Don't feel guilty about killing one deer just because you are feeding a few others.

Good luck!!
Old 12-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still like the pursuit ( hunt) its the actual kill that bothers me. I do like making deer jerky and smoking venison though. I'm glad to here that there are others that feel a little remorse. At least I'm not alone.

Old 12-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

hear LOL
Old 12-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Windwalker,
I'm new to hunting last year. I have learned a lot. One of the biggest things I have learned is that it's all about the game not the touchdown. (ok it's football season)
What i mean is that everything that leads up to the kill(touchdown) and everything that comes after it is really wha I enjoy about hunting. No, i do not enjoy killing either. in fact i also feel a sadness when i finally walk up to the dead deer.
I love hunting, but hunting is not just killing. Picking the gun, the caliber, practicing with it, picking the right clothing, finding a location, scouting, hiking, stalking the prey, Being out there with friends and family, I could go on and on. but that is what i love about hunting.

If for now you have decided that killing a deer is not what you want to do you can still hunt. Hunt with a camera. You still have to do many of the things you would to kill a deer but in this case press the shutter not the trigger. Maybe one day you will be back to shooting again but for now. take great pictures and post them on here

Good luck to you. Keep us posted
Old 12-07-2005, 07:07 PM

OK you didnt have to show that pic too. Geez. Ok, you got me. I would feel bad if I were in your shoes. Look at the little baby.

That is really cool that you can get that close to them. Have they let you pet them yet??? Eat out of your hand?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:13 PM

Hey Wind,
The first deer I killed really shook me up. Now when I kill a deer I never turn away as they die. The way I see it if I cannot watch an animal die that I want to eat then I should be a vegatarian. Im not name calling or anything like that just trying to put those same feelings I have into my own perspective.Remember your human first and foremost and a carnivore second.Sometimes it bothers me more than others. As I watch the deer expire I thank the "force" that I was able to put pure meat on the table and a pile of steroided beef. Good luck with those feelings. I would be more worried for you if you revelled in somethins death.So to answewr your question I think your perfectly ok.
Nathan
Old 12-07-2005, 07:15 PM

Not a pile of steroided beef. sorry for the typo
is steroided a word?
nathan
Old 12-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was just thinking about what to say when I read Dannyd's post, and I agree 100%, get a camera and get out there. You should feel lucky to be able to have some of natures greatest examples of beauty that have welcomed you enough for you to share in their presence. I envy you! I wouldn't shoot them, but for as long as I could, enjoy their company.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:19 PM

I think I know what you mean. For me, after I've recovered the animal and the adrenalin has subsided, there is always a bit of remorse mixed in with a whole lot of gratitude. I firmly believe that God put us here to be good stewards of the land and everything that the land supports. That means that we are responsible for its welfare, but also entitled to enjoy its bounty as well. In my opinion, part of this responsibility includes maintaining the deer herd at a level consistent with the carrying capacity of the land, and the most reasonable way to do this is through hunting. I'm not using that as a justification for hunting, but rather a coincidental benefit. I also understand that this discussion didn't begin as a logical exercise. People's tastes and interests change over time. If you've lost your desire to hunt, which to me includes the kill, then I find that sentiment completely understandable and respectable--as I expect others respect my desire to get out there and hunt even if they don't themselves. I will say this, however. Once you decided to get out there and interact with the animals, you crossed a line which pretty much put you in this position. I don't have a lot of sympathy when somebody says "I made a pet out of some deer and now I can't shoot my pet". If that's the case, get out there with a camera instead of a gun, and have a blast! I've put out corn for years and enjoyed watching the deer come in and feed. It's a great way to watch them interact, and also to give kids a chance to see a deer at relatively close range. But, I would never allow myself or other to interact in any way with them. They're a wild animal, like a cougar or a coyote. Speaking as a hunter, trying to domesticate them in any way is wrong and no good can come of it. That's why God gave us hunting dogs.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Windwalker, It sounds like you may have gotten burned out on the killing part by killing more deer than you needed to. I think I kind of understand how you feel. Last year I killed 5 deer and still had 2 doe tags in my pocket and a couple of days left to fill them. I went out both days and saw plenty of deer but let every one of them walk. I enjoyed the hunt very much but I didn't pull the trigger one time. I didn't really need the meat and I saw no reason to kill them and give them away. Another thing I see here is you're becoming emotionally attached to the deer you're feeding in your back yard. Don't think for a minute that they trust you. They've just partially overcome their fear of you. To them your presence is a minor threat that they're willing to risk for food and to you it feels like some sort of bond. I can't say if it's right or wrong but if I felt bad about killing something I wouldn't do it. What would be the point? Anyway, all this is just my opinion and I could be way off base. Hunting for me is 99.9 percent pure enjoyment of being in the great outdoors sharing the experience with others and enjoying the bounty it brings to my table. The other .1 percent is the killing part and I don't have a problem with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.