Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Things that are wrong with southern hunting >

Things that are wrong with southern hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Things that are wrong with southern hunting

Old 12-05-2005, 09:52 PM

Default RE: Things that are wrong with southern hunting

We must have it good in the middle, here in NC.Of course, when I'm wearing four layers of clothes in 40 degree weather, sometimes I still get too cold to sit any longer. What I really hate, though, is bagging on just before shootin' light ends. That's when the temperature gets below freezing. That's when ya gotta start hosing out the deer carcass. Oh joy.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Typical Buck

well....here in Illinois it aint too nice...and we sure aren't "northerners"!!! Friday when I hunted it was 9 degrees....and the wind was directly in my face at 15+ mph....no idea what that wind chill came out to, but all i know is that i constantly had to wipe my eyes cause they were watering and I was worried they would freeze...and yes, my noise hairs froze too, I hate that, but its better than consistently running.....
And this morning I took my younger sister to high school and the Chevy Suburban temperature gauge said a nice old 1....yep 1.....thats a nice number....
Old 12-06-2005, 12:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted the swamps in fla and and gamelands in NC and and fla was the worst. Usually archery season is during the wet season and the misqitos are so loud buzzing around your head that your so deaften by anything around. I found it very difficult to sit motionless with all the misquitos, as I am allergic to deet. I also had to go through this little cut to get to my stand and there was a cottonmouth in this wake of water, I encountered him a couple times but he kept putting the slip on me but I always felt uneasy when crossing this area having to use a flashlight. After a hurricane came through one time, my stand area was about a foot under water and I actually had a gator come by and I stood up and got into position to shoot, thinking it was a deer coming in on me. Hunting was pretty easy though as the deer and hogs would work there way to high land and if you knew where the acorns and persimines were, you would have a shooting gallery, thing about it was, is I was always constantly wet from wading. It wasalso a challenge to get the game back in time due to the high temps
I realy don't miss it now and get invites to go back down, but I much rather hunt in freezing, snowy weather here. One advantage about the south is I don;t think they have too many griz or cougars that will would ruin your day.

Bobby
Old 12-06-2005, 09:56 PM

theres nothing worse then sittin in the stand during bow season and having that same mosquito landing on your ear over and over again. that pisses me off so bad.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Born2Killdeer

theres nothing worse then sittin in the stand during bow season and having that same mosquito landing on your ear over and over again. that pisses me off so bad.
Yeh the skeeters are the worse ...I killed one this year that I had mounted ...weighed 12lbs and looked like a B-52!

dd

Old 12-07-2005, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt and love NY. Upstate NY not NY city.
The only thing I think about when I am that cold is how warm my hands will be when I gut that deer.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I feel downright blessed !
Being located in the middle of the temp zones can make getting dressed a guessing game at times , but the worst I'll have to face is mild heat , ticks , and maybe a few mosquitoes come October first . A little spritz of Permanone and some light clothing under my 3-D suit and I'm good to go . A month later and I may have to switch to slightly heavier clothing , then another month before the Winter duds might be needed . Once the late season sets in I just snuggle up in a comfy lawn chair in my pop-up blind over an alcohol heater and wait for the deer to come in to me . No deer live in my 10 acres of woods , but once they hoover up all the acorns in the surrounding woods , which there aren't much of since I live in the middle of several farms , my place is the next place they come to for their vittles .
Old 12-07-2005, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well anytime I feel like complaining about the weather, I'm gonna remember some of theses posts. I hunt in WV and it really is not that bad in regard to temps too hot or cold. This year was the coldest we have had in a while (one day was about 17 with a 15 mph wind)

Once you shoot a deer though in WV, the drag is usually always up-hill....at least where I hunt. This is probably my biggest complaint. Other than that WV is "Almost Heaven" when it comes to hunting..........IMO
Old 12-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Amen Gus,
Although the Friday after Thanksgiving was downright polar. I'll take the 15-40 degrees anytime after some of the stuff i hear about on here.
Now pulling the deer uphill I can do without but it if your are going to hunt WV you are going to be draggin a deer uphill.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Heat..sweat...Skeeters...rattle snakes..coral snakes...moccocins...chiggers ...ticks ...poison oak ... poison ivy......black flies ...no seeums......fire ants....black widows.....brown recluse....and gators!
Then you have to watch for FL cougers and black bears. Both protected byFL law!
heck man ; in my part of the state in the swamps ; the only thing we have to look for art the"GATORS" , they have eaten everything else. [8D] [&:] [&:]. some times now the worst thing to watch for are the bobie traps the drug dealers have set to protect there crops.[:@][:@][:@][:@]

Quick Reply: Things that are wrong with southern hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.