HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Shotgun only states??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/123613-shotgun-only-states.html)

SPIKEHORN11 12-04-2005 06:09 AM

Shotgun only states???

I was wondering what states restrict the use of shotgun only for deer hunting.

I live in NY and certain zones in the southern zone are restricted to shotgun,muzzleloader,pistol and bow.

IAKSmith 12-04-2005 06:24 AM

RE: Shotgun only states???

Iowa is a shotgun only state. There is also a hnadgun and muzzle loader season but no high power rifle season.

Tut23 12-04-2005 06:57 AM

In michigan the southern half of the lower peninusula you have to use a shotgun or muzzleloader durring gun season if you go farther north you can use rifles.

MassBowhunter 12-04-2005 07:36 AM

Massachusetts is a shotgun only state as well.

You can use an inline muzzleloaderduring shotgun and muzzleloader season though which sort of contradicts the no rifle rule IMO. You'reeven allowed to use a hinge action muzzleloader during the shotgun season. I know you only get one shot, but with a good muzzleloaderand a good scope you're shooting a high powered rifle and only need the one shot IMO. I've been leaving the shotgun at home and using the inline when I hunt from my treestands.

Hunter_59 12-04-2005 07:47 AM

Illinois is shotgun only, although you are able to use muzzleloaders and handguns but centerfire rifle is off limits! If only I could've used my 7 mm mag. on Friday! I had a 150 class buck at 80 yards! Oh well,maybe next year!

RonM 12-04-2005 07:54 AM

Delaware is shotgun, we now have a pistol season starting this year. Also archery and muzzleloader, but no rifles

DearSlayer357 12-04-2005 07:56 AM

Ohio is shotgun only you can also use handguns and muzzleloaders

longrifle1000 12-04-2005 07:57 AM

ORIGINAL: IAKSmith

Iowa is a shotgun only state. There is also a hnadgun and muzzle loader season but no high power rifle season.

Iowa does have a rifle season now. It is for antlerless, and restricted to northern counties. But a rifle season none the less.

Like said earlier, here in Illinois we are shotgun, muzzleloader, and handgun only for firearms.

Kyle Colburn 12-04-2005 12:43 PM

the more populated counties in wisconsin have shotgun only zones. i hunt in a rifle, shotgun, county and then we have a seperate muzzleloader season

uncle matt 12-04-2005 02:32 PM

hunter 59 sez........

If only I could've used my 7 mm mag. on Friday! I had a 150 class buck at 80 yards!
80 yards and you thought you needed a 7mm to take him? Just 80 yards?