Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I need some suggestions about dogs. >

I need some suggestions about dogs.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I need some suggestions about dogs.

Old 12-04-2005, 05:49 PM

Default RE: I need some suggestions about dogs.

maybe try shooting when they come by. then perhaps they wont comeback again because they are scared.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Catch them if you can and turn them into the pound. Let the neighbor know where they can reclaim thier dogs and pay the fine. A couple times doing this if it even takes a couple should work. I know I wouldn't want to keep paying fines. You could put some fear in thier minds also by saying you have some that hunt your property that will shoot the dogs and you have no control over thier actions in such a case. Once presented with the possablity of the dogs being disposed of they will do the right thing. Just don't say it will be you that would do it and a note here, I hope you really don't have people that would shoot someone's pet no matter how much of an a$$ the owner is. The dog should not pay with it's life for doingwhat comes natural to it nor should it pay the ultimate sacrafice for a stupit owner.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

any dog that runs my deer off that im hunting would be a dead dog.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Idon't recomend shooting the dogs! Loose dogs are the owners fault, not the animals anyway! I lost a good lease due to someone shooting the neighbors dogs once, and it could put you on the wrong side of the law.
Check on any laws concerning loose animals, but if its in the country, there might not be any helpful laws!
As others have said, you might try trapping them and bringing them back to the owner! (that may work, show them that you don't want to hurt their dogs. Then if they are jerks it won't help at all bringing them home!)
Trapping them and painting them might be the answer! Or even spray them good with some skunk scent, maybe the owners will keep 'em home after that! Good luck with a tough situation!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

My guess is that the neighbors are not hunters. They don't care if they mess up your hunting and may be trying to. Catching the dogs and turning them in to the pond may be your best bet but if it was me I would take 2 guns to my stand...one of them would be a 22.

-john
Old 12-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

Take the dog to the pound twice. Then take them to the pound in the next county the third time. If they return,take them2 counties away the other direction.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:30 PM

Well, i've heard people say that they think that there is a leash law... well, I doubt it. I live just south of doc, and dogs have free roaming rights.