Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Pa hunting down the crapper......... >

Pa hunting down the crapper.........

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pa hunting down the crapper.........

Old 12-03-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Pa hunting down the crapper.........

I just got back from camp, and want to report, that out of 6 hunters, NOBODY saw or shot a buck!! Saw the same few does and fawns, but no horns. Now, I havepics of 2 legal bucks from my game cam, but nobody saw them. Last nite, we went down to the deer check station, and the gentlemen said he has only checked 20 deer. Pretty disapointing!! Anyhow, just wanted to see if anybody had better or worse results. Our camp, is in PA, area 2f......
Old 12-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pa hunting down the crapper.........

I've been hunting up in 1B since the begining of archery. This has been one of my best years so for. 10 different bucks spotted, along with a lot of does. I guess it just depends where you are at.

During rifle season though, the deer sightings have really gone down.Only 7does in the first week. I have a feeling that most of the deer have turned nocturnal by now. Remember since AR, the bucks get older and smarter too.

My best advice would be to get down on your feet and try still hunting them.I did that today in the fresh snow and jumped 4 does. Too bad me doe tag was already filled though.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:29 PM

i don't think the buck hunting is bad at all. our group of 9 normally take 4 maybe 5 bucks a year, this year everyone has filled their buck tag already. two huge bucks one a 150 class 9 point and the other about a 160 class 10 point. the only thing is we aren't seeing the does. we have gotten 3 so far and saw a few small ones. we hunt area 3D
Old 12-09-2005, 01:29 PM

Killer243,
What area of 3D were you hunting. I hunted a few days in and around Brady's Lake and never saw a tail. I hiked in about a mile the 1st day and only heard 3 shots before noon. I check out some other areas farther west (all state game lands) and only saw a couple does. Couldn't even find a hunter who saw a buck. I saw plenty of does and a few bucks in archery (until the early muzzleloading season came). I know there are a lot less deer out there but my biggest gripe are the size of the WMUs. The game lands are getting hammered and the private land in some counties have loads of deer. We need to find a way to get smaller WMUs and allocate doe takes based on those smaller units. I can't see how a farm in lower luzernecounty has anything to do with the pocono moutain deer neer the New york border. But yet they are all in 3D
Old 12-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

deer check station??? pa?? whats that all about?? buck pool or something?? we dont have check stations here...maybe NEED them...but dont have them...just bears? but anyways...yep.....i got to hunt more this year then any other year....and if i didnt LOVE turkey hunting so much i probably wouldnt be hunting next season........still tossing the idea around.....ive never been so mad...dissappointed...i hunted my honeyhole in 1a an evening and a morning.....snow both days...all i can say is the deer herd there is down about 80%...i used to beable to walk the trail to my spot and cut 100 fresh tracks....my spot was always bare when there was snow from so many tracks in it....when id bust the thickets or takemy normal 3hr loop id see tons of deer...even if i just kicked them out......2days there...plus 2days in oct flintlock...NOTHING....down here in 2b its getting SAD as well...we drive out everything we can here......and we used to see 20-30 deer a day no problem.....now we call it a good day when we see a little fawn......awesome day if we see horns......rare day when we bring a buck home.....3 years ago we killed like 10 bucks.....this year we killed 2.......SAD.........its pathetic.......i dont even wanna go tomarrow......but who knows.....id love to be the guy that killed the last buck in the township lol.......i cant take it......i hunted more this season then ever.....
Old 12-10-2005, 11:48 AM

only a 2 bucks where i live in pa
Old 12-10-2005, 01:23 PM

The hunting seems harder now But If you guys take your time and learn more about the deer hunt . you all will be better hunters trust me I know. I was born and raised In pa. hunted all the countys from montg. to potter and sullivan we always shot horns.We even shot a eight ponter and the pass thur downed a ten next to him ,I remember seeing herds of 50 does passing bye me, I know the herds have bein shot up in the past few years. I dont want to sound like a bad guy but I really didnt appriciate the hunt till I move to NH, 3#deer psm. I was so used to going out the camp door in Pa .maybe less than a mile and seeing deer. sometimes yards.there where always hunters around pushing deer.If you want a deer you have to do your homework and scout areas more more time in the woods, Find scrapes deep in and and hunt them for a day then move on and find more. I spend atleast three weeks in the woods and before a kill the hunt is really harder up here, scent controll and wind all big factors.I even pray out there to my father.The pa hunt has changed forever now.Try to find a spot where there is no pressure and and put all your tacktics to work, but more time in the woods will pay off.