Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How safe is public land to hunt on? >

How safe is public land to hunt on?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How safe is public land to hunt on?

Old 12-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How safe is public land to hunt on?

i hunt public land during bow and gun....wear orange!!!
Old 12-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MarinePride

Hunting the Nat. Forest here in VA for the first time since moving here I can honestly tell you that most hunters will not go more than 1/2 from their vehicle. The reason for this in my opinion is because the terrain is rather hilly and it just takes a lot of effort to get around. A lot of hunters like to drive the roads in their trucks when it's cold and call that hunting too. The thing to remember is that most people are inherently lazy and will not put much effort into anything that doesn't guarantee a return. Real hunting requires effort and you cannot ever be guaranteed anything.

But what do I know, I've only been hunting for this season so far in VA and have no deer kills to show for it[:@].
I know the feeling, MarinePride.... I am from Richmond, VA. You should see the public WMA's close to Richmond on a Saturday! I stopped by one recently, and didn't even get out of my truck! I sat there thinking to myself....

OH...
MY...
GOD... [&:][:'(]

I have never seen such a gathering of pickup trucks before. I probably would estimate that there is a sea of blaze orange upon every ridgetop or behind every tree out there.... I decided to drive on and head out further to the state forests.

I agree about the Nat'l Forest. It's great out there! Huge, rugged, steep terrain, and not packed to capacity with hunters. If you go in deep, you most likey won't see anyone at all!

As far as the "I've only been hunting for this season so far and have no deer kills to show for it", I know exactly how you feel. I'm on my 4th year with no deer in the freezer yet. It takes tremendous dedication and determination to bag a public land buck and/or doe. The only "kills" I have to my name are 2 ducks and a single goose - when I went waterfowl hunting a few times with some guys I know. It was fun, but way too cold for this guy... [&o] I mean, hey... you think it's cold deer hunting? Pfffft!!! Try waterfowling in the sleet/snow on a frozen marsh... I gave up waterfowling... No offense to the guys I knew, but, I told them quote-unquote, "You all are crazy... I am about 3 steps from getting hypothermia or hospitalized with pnuemonia... Sorry guys, it's cool and all, but this is nuts...." [&:]

Old 12-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try to go during the week. Always go in early, anhour or so before shooting light and try to stay until after shooting light. Always wear plenty of orange and keep your head on a swivel. Look for spots that are away from roads or easy access, I may have to walk some but no hunters there when I get there.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:31 AM

I make it a point to go during the week on my own land. I like to avoid other hunters. I like to be the only one in the woods. But this year, in my area I think hunters are converting to duck hunting. I have not heard hardly any guns go off, even on opening day, and the only place to check deer in has not had very many deer checked in there. This is good for me being that I like being alone. Either way, I've heard that public hunting land can be a great thing but I have also heard stories about ppl shooting a deer and it running off and then another hunter finishes it off and steals your deer.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:18 PM

It depends upon the public land and the part of the public land you're hunting. Most hunters hunt close to roads not because they don't want to walk far but because they don't want to drag a deer far. Getting deep into the woods will help but be prepared to have a long difficult drag or butcher the deer where on the spot. Finding limited access land and getting a permit will also get rid of most of the crowds. Of course that may take you years to get but it worth it.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I do 90% of my hunting on a crowded WMA.

1. AS Rebel has said ...try to hunt MOn.- Fri.

2. Plan on walking at least 1 /2 mile from the dirt road.

3. Lesson I learned last week. Stay away from auxiliary roads. Poachers use them and drive up and down them. Get away from people. Scout a new place away from everyone. The game is out there.

4. talk to those at the gate who are scoring frequently and ask for advice. People love to give advice.

5. Keep your hot spot a secret. Use illuminated tacks instead of flagger tape. You do not wan tto advertize your spot.

6. Carry your climber in and out of a WMA .You stand a 50% chance of having the cable cut and stolden.

Old 12-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is no public land in the units that I hunt so I never had this problem. You gotta know some people or have your own land. I was raised there so I have both. I know I am one of the lucky ones.