Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Missed Rifle Season

Old 12-02-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Missed Rifle Season

Missed Rifle season. I bought a lease for 750 bucks. I bought 2 feeders. I built 2 blinds. I scouted. I went out for the first 3 days of rifle season and passed on a decent 6 pointer. Then I got Brobchitis. I am still pretty weak. Season ends on sunday night. Today is Friday. For once I did the smart thing and stayed home, missed work and didn't go sleep in a tent for a week in winter. But I missed rifle season.
this would have been the first time I had ever hunted deer with a rifle! I ususally go black poweder and archery. Still have yet to kill one with a rifle.
I will be going back for late bow season. And I have a new savage 110 in 06 that was bought for this very hunt. Well, I can use this savage for feral hogs this winter
I am trying to be upbeat but after a week of lying around,downing codiene and nyquil,not working and NOT HUNTING, I have been a bit depressed. I cleaned and oiled all of my guns. Sharpened knives and read all of my old gun mags. Oh and I have been on this forum for the last 3 hours. Thank god for you guys! I am even so bored, that I would willngly argue to anyone who wants to about weather the 30'06 is better than the 7 rem mag. Or weather the Leupold VXIII is better than the Zeiss Conquest. In fact I am even willing to argue both sides of the questions.
okcmco
Old 12-03-2005, 03:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Missed Rifle Season

Marco
I feel for ya. Sorry about your situation. It appears you may be still sick. They have a prayer request thread on the Religious forum. I will submit your name down there. If you like to debatecome join is down there on the religious forum. Got some good folks down there as well.
Chuck7
Old 12-03-2005, 04:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: okcmco

Missed Rifle season. I bought a lease for 750 bucks. I bought 2 feeders. I built 2 blinds. I scouted. I went out for the first 3 days of rifle season and passed on a decent 6 pointer. Then I got Brobchitis. I am still pretty weak. Season ends on sunday night. Today is Friday. For once I did the smart thing and stayed home, missed work and didn't go sleep in a tent for a week in winter. But I missed rifle season.
this would have been the first time I had ever hunted deer with a rifle! I ususally go black poweder and archery. Still have yet to kill one with a rifle.
I will be going back for late bow season. And I have a new savage 110 in 06 that was bought for this very hunt. Well, I can use this savage for feral hogs this winter
I am trying to be upbeat but after a week of lying around,downing codiene and nyquil,not working and NOT HUNTING, I have been a bit depressed. I cleaned and oiled all of my guns. Sharpened knives and read all of my old gun mags. Oh and I have been on this forum for the last 3 hours. Thank god for you guys! I am even so bored, that I would willngly argue to anyone who wants to about weather the 30'06 is better than the 7 rem mag. Or weather the Leupold VXIII is better than the Zeiss Conquest. In fact I am even willing to argue both sides of the questions.
okcmco
OKCMCO man I feel for you bro ... but even though its hard to do look on the bright side ... there may have been a reason for your getting sick and not being able to hunt ...maybe "the Big Guy" kept you from being hurt or worse by keeping you out of the woods .. I know its little concellation but try and be positive ... in the mean time I hope you get to feeling better and I'll try and take up your slack ;&gt)

dd
Old 12-03-2005, 04:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Sorry to hear bro!
Old 12-03-2005, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just think about all those BIGGER bucks that will be on your lease next year. Hope you are feeling better and good luck with the late archery season.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

ya hope you feel better and just like steve said all the deer you didnt kill because you were sick will be there and bigger next year
Old 12-03-2005, 10:39 AM

Well, it's morning and I am feeling less down with the sun up. Thanks for all of your words of encouragement. And to steve F. in md and tut23, yes those bucks will be bigger next year, and I will be waiting in ambush!!
And thanks chuck for putting me on your prayer list
okcmco
Old 12-03-2005, 10:46 AM

I know the feeling..I missed the last wk. of bow season all of muzzleloader season and the first half wk of gun season. Had to have heart bypass surgery on Oct. 21st. and can't think about shooting a centerfire rifle till XMAS day says my surgeon. I did however start back hunting Nov. 17th. using a 14" 7-30Waters Contender with 2-7 Burris scope and mon-o-pod rest up in my climbers. This gun has a recoil more straight up with barrel jump(when shooting off sandbags or rest)than backwards and should be okay...I hope. I'm going to keep my right arm bent at elbow if I shoot to keep recoil from going back into my chest area..I hope.
Hunting public land doesn't offer many shots and none for me so far so may not even shoot this yr. It's all the other stuff that I have to deal with and go so slow and be very careful with...like walking and carrying climbersand climbing. If I doget onegetting him out is going to be achore.I bought a small rope hoist to get the game up on whatever I use to get it out of woods..either bike or game cart..and to lift it onto game carrier on back of Jeep. I just have to be very picky with where I set up so I don't have to do any dragging to a good level hard trail or woods road to get him out on cart.
Don't realize how good you got it till you loose it. I guess this is like it was in the old days..sick or not you had to get game to eat if you traveled alone. I'm just sick in the head..for starting back so soon..but hunting is pretty much my life.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

Hope you get better man! That would stink.[:'(]The worst thing I've had this season is a lingering cough. Hope you get well and go get a big boy!Good hunting.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it makes you feel any better, I hunted a grand total of a day and a half of rifle, and a mere few hours during shotgun season. I could have hunted yesterday or this morning, but had a few things to do and didn't feel like going. SAD!

Quick Reply: Missed Rifle Season

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.