Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Take the big or little doe?

Old 12-02-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Take the big or little doe?

Well, I have a choice to make. Doe shooting is available shortly and I've been watching a doe with what appears to be 4 offspring. 1 button buck and 3 doe fawns. I could take one of the young ones or I could take the mother doe. If I take the big doe, I have more meat, but I'm concerned that the younger ones need her for the rest of the year before they can make it on their own. If I take a young doe I have some tender eating, and I have enough so that I don't need the extra meat. But.... killing a first year doe leaves me a little uneasy.
I'm not about to let them all pass. What would you hunters do? I know I'm going to face this issue in the next few days as muzzloading season is only a week long.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Take the big or little doe?

I think you have already figured it out. My guess is you'll take one of the smaller does.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would shoot the big doe if it were me. I thinK the small ones will do just as good through the wninter months w/out mama.

Is one doe all that you are allowed?
Old 12-02-2005, 03:20 PM

I sometimes shoot a doe on my farm, and choose to shoot big does for the following reasons. First, they are older and wiser, so it's a little more of a challenge. And, theymess-up my hunts more often than younger does. Second,I shoot bigger does so I won't make the mistake of shooting a smaller button buck by accident. And, lastly the bigger does have more meat.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

take the mama this late in the year the yearlings dont need her a much.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

I read a study the other day that stated that younger does tended to throw more bucks and that older does tended to throw more does....they suspect it has something to do with hormones but no absolutes at this point. They needed to do more work to be sure. This means shooting the older does will yield more bucks in the future. personally I would shot one of the young ones....hard to beat steak that you can cut with a fork.

-john
Old 12-02-2005, 04:06 PM

I used to always shoot the big doe. The winters of 2002 and 2003 were hard on the young deer. In2002 I found 37 winter killed fawns, in 2003 I found 17 winter killed fawns, so in 2004 I decided I would shoot a doe fawn for meat. If you don't get trigger happyit's easytell a doe fawn from a button buck. I figured why not shoot the fawn, there is a chance that it may not make it through the winter anyway. Some guys may not like the idea of killing fawns, but I think that I have a good reason to do so, besides when you kill a large doe there is a real good chance you will be killing two unborn fawnsthat may even be two bucks. Although,if you have lots of deer you may want two kill the big doe. That way, the fawn that you didn't shoot may winter kill and the big doe will be deadas willher two unborn fawns. my site: www.pbase.com/mlo3135127& www.wildturkey.smugmug.com
Old 12-02-2005, 04:59 PM

Great comments guys; and HuntinGUS, you bring up a point I hadn't thought of. I can only take one doe on my tag, but I have access to other tags. Makes me think I could take a young one and then rethink the problem! In any event, I'm leaning towards letting the older doe walk.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with HuntinGus those yearlings will be just fine.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd lean towards shooting a young, tender deer. Meat quality in animals declines with age. Besides, they'll all make a meal for something one day. Might as well be you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.