Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 QUIT WHINING AND TRYING TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT >

QUIT WHINING AND TRYING TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

QUIT WHINING AND TRYING TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT

Old 12-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: QUIT WHINING AND TRYING TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT

Now before you all go on to bash me now for disagreeing with a portion of trophyhunters post and calling me a no good, non hunting, pompous, holier than thou, yankee, etc....... let me explain.

I was going to respond to this post and go against what has been posted already.
I finally saw some deer tonight. It was he first time this season, but they were all does or at least the ones that i could see. It was about 5:15 when i shot the doe in front of me, and it is awfully dark at 5:15 in bama. I know it was just a doe but im still excited! That was my third deer killed and my savage 30-06 has dropped them all in their tracks.
However, for reasons that trophyhunter stated I chose to let it ride and keep my comments to myself. I didn't want to appear that I thought I was "a holier than thou yankee" or"perfect". I also didnt' want to rain on the guys parade. He seems elated with his kill so let it be.
But, it is also an example ofwhy I think some posts need rebutal and maybeeven someexplanation however negative it may appear.
Does anyone else see what may be disputable within that post? It kind of bothers me when people just sit back and don't say anything about it but rather go on to congratulate the person.I think sometimes disagreeing can be helpful. JMO bash away boys.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:56 AM

i would image you are talking about how dark it was?
Old 12-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

yes that's what I'm refering to. It is pretty darn dark 35 minutes after sunset. Although I'll be the first to admit I'm not perfect, there's no way I'm taking that shot. You can barely make out a deer in an open field 40 yards from you let alone what's beyond it. A good way for accidents to happen.
So I apologize if I seem argumentitive on some posts, but I just have to say what I think about it when I see fit. And I think it may be helpful to someone someday. I'm certainly not going to congratulate someone for shooting a deer after legal shooting hours either. I may be wrong in my views sometimes as well. Heck I am probably partially wrong in the transporting deer thread. After thinking about it and hearing others views, maybe I'm making too much of it. (that is untill Gus found he had to start personally attacking me, but that's a different issue).
Old 12-02-2005, 10:04 AM

Sounds like TH is doing a little bellyaching of his own. You know the beauty of this site is for everyone ( newbies and life members) to post there views and questions. The answers and remarks are also what makes it unique and original. If we just waited aruond for you to post something this site would be boring.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:07 AM

very well said NY, believe me this thread has nothing to do with you i have been talking to you on here for 2-3 yrs boy are we both loosersbut alot also on the issue here is i think it also depends on what side of the state he is on at that time, yes the eastern part of alabama DARK, western side maybe not so bad "dont know though"
Old 12-02-2005, 10:10 AM

ORIGINAL: davester

Sounds like TH is doing a little bellyaching of his own. You know the beauty of this site is for everyone ( newbies and life members) to post there views and questions. The answers and remarks are also what makes it unique and original. If we just waited aruond for you to post something this site would be boring.
not bellyaching, pointing out the obvious, your right though if you waited on me to post a whole lot it would be boring, i have to much hunting going on
Old 12-02-2005, 10:27 AM

I'm new to this sight and I imagine I'll probably get blasted for these comments but here they are anyway.

I agree with trophyhuntr on most of what he said. One comment I can't agree with is when talking about losing deer he said "that's hunting". There is no doubt that we have all lost deer (myself included) but what I don't understand is the relaxed attitude about it. I've read posts over the past few days that indicate the hunters in question were not careful about their shot selection. One comment stated that the hunter could barely see movement on the other end of the field and then looked through his scope and saw antlers so he decided to shoot. For the animal's sake we should feel obligated to take the best possible shot in order to not wound an animal. Close to dark across a field where you could barely see movement is not the best possible shot. We need to hold each other to higher standards guys. But I agree with trphyhuntr on everything else.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with TH. It's about time somebody mentioned something. A short time ago, I got blasted because I took a 1 1/2 year old 4x4. Let me just say this, not all of us trophy hunt or have the land in which to hunt those trophies on. I have seen a lot bigger deer, just over the fenceline from where I had permission, but I wasn't going to take the shot because I didn't have permission to that land. I have also seen several large bucks while driving into town for lunch during season. Did I stop and shoot the buck just because he was a "trophy." No way!!! Just because someone takes a smaller deer than you do, probably because you have access to better land, don't put someone down because of that. Just my .02 worth. Good hunting all.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

yes that's what I'm refering to. It is pretty darn dark 35 minutes after sunset. Although I'll be the first to admit I'm not perfect, there's no way I'm taking that shot. You can barely make out a deer in an open field 40 yards from you let alone what's beyond it. A good way for accidents to happen. ...
First let me say that I'm farrrr on the conservative side when it comes to taking a shot. I get grief all the time for passing on shots. I often quit before others at sunset.

But, you weren't there and really have absolutely NO idea what the actual light was at 5:15 in that particular place. I've been in places where, because of the cloud cover, surrounding foliage, etc. I couldn't even think of shooting at sunset, let alone 30 min. later. I've also been in places where there was plenty of light to shoot safely and surely - with a good scope and good eyes - more than 30 minutes after sunset.

I don't get pissed at folks who make constructive comments about mistakes we all make, better yet, we should all be making those comments with friendly advice with suggestions on how things might be done better/differently next time. But to think that you know better than that guy about shooting light when you weren't even there is really funny to me.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

COULDNT AGREE WITH YOU MORE TH. THE THING ON HERE THAT GETS ME THE MOST IS THAT IF YOU DONT TAKE THE PERFECT PIC WITH THE PERFECT POSE WITH THE PERFECT LIGHTING THEY BASH THE HELL OUT OF YOU. WELL FOR YOU THAT DO THAT IM SORRY WE ALL CANT BE PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHERS. I HAVE NO PROBLEM LOOKING AT A NICE BUCK IN THE BACK OF A TRUCK OR HANGIN IN THE TREE BUT TO SOME GUYS THEY THINK THATS A SIN. OH WELL GUESS ILL NEVER UNDERSTAND THAT

Quick Reply: QUIT WHINING AND TRYING TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.