Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

WOW...SHOCKED BY NUMBERS

Old 12-01-2005, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default WOW...SHOCKED BY NUMBERS

throughout the year i go to these large fields that are scattered with clover and other plants. there are four fields total and they range around 600x200 yrds. there are hedgerows dividing them and the deer just love to hang out here at night. i hit them last night at 12:30 with my lightforce spotlight and WOOOW, i saw 3 deer. now there could have been more just in the woods or hidden in the hedge row but on any day i usually see around 15 or so. it's a large are to hunt and is hunted heavy during gun season. i don't know men, i think i may have to find another spot to hunt this December were the odds may be a little better. hows everyone else's season going? it's been almost two months of hunting pressure. are the deer thinning out by you too?
Old 12-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: WOW...SHOCKED BY NUMBERS

Its been mostly hot, and windy here in East Texas! There are good deer being taken, in some areas! My area is not one of them! I've taken one good doe, and had I not taken her, I wouldn't have anything, since doe season is over now! I have'nt seen a small buck, let alone anything worth shooting! Well, I'll be lease hunting again this spring! You'e got to be where the deer ARE, to have any reasonable chance of being successful!
Old 12-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

we have noticed alot less deer where we hunt in northern new york too. On thanksgiving it was snowing and windy, and we hunted a low thicket that we hunt a couple times each season. Everytime it is snowing and blowing, there are deer in there. Couple years ago my grandfather an duncle hunted it int he same conditions and had about 20 doe come out of it. this year there was ZERO. no tracks in the fresh snow, nothing. Only guy that saw a deer was my father, and it was a little doe coming from the neighboring property. This isnt jsut a one time deal either, we have seen remarkable less deer recently in all the areas we hunt, every time we are out.

I think DEC is over estimating the population and giving out more doe tags than need be, but im no wildlife biologist, so who knows.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Spike

seems to be more deer on are wood lot this year, iveonly seen a doe and 2 fawns, and gramp seen a nice buck, they seem to stay away from are apples untell after dark, the doe and fawns i seen the night before gun season started... havent seen anything sence
Old 12-01-2005, 01:49 PM

Well i hunted Dutchess county NY opening day and then for 6 days straight and saw a total of 26 deer. Missed one with the bow two days before the gun opener, missed a fat doe the day after the gun opener and then took a 180lb doe the next day!! So maybe in certain areas the deer are thinning out but not everywhere!!! MY lease in Holmes county Floirda is ate up with deer!!!! Have seen deer on every trip and never been skunked there.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

i havent seen anything since the opening day of gun but ive seen alot of fresh tracks so they are just coming out later at night.