Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

late/end of rut

Old 12-01-2005, 07:52 AM

Default late/end of rut

Do scents and a grunt call work this late or at the end of rut? Normally when I walk to my stand and jump a deer of any sex I can blow my grunt and they stop then blow it again and they come walking right up to me. Yesterday I did it and they never stoped. I walked up on 4 or 5 deer and the grunt did nothing. I havn't tried scents yet. I was going to make Friday a full day in the woods and I was wondering if buck or doe urine would work right now? Being so late in the rut if a buck is even interested in another doe in heat.
Thanks

Old 12-01-2005, 08:08 AM

Default RE: late/end of rut

I had a nice buck come straight to me from downwind using scent and grunt call. This was late Dec. in Va., the scent works better than grunt call. The bucks still have high testosterone levels until atleast mid-Jan. when there horns fall off. This is my opinion/theory, now go prove it!! Good Luck!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

i have o.k. luck with calls and scents too. problem now is that they are so spooked right now. if you kick one up they probably aren't going to take the chance to come back and socialize due to the fact they've seen there share of gut piles and orange monsters roaming the woods. rattling, scent, calls, they all seem to work better in bow or early gun. i don't know it could work i just feel that it's all about survival now to them. eating, socializing, humping are done after dark. during the day it's just hide and run like hell if need be. good luck though with the scent and calls.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am on 500 achers and I am the only one hunting it. There is a 1500 acher farm next to me that butts up to me and I am not sure if anyone hunts that. I do know that there is alot of cattle on it and the owner is to busy to hunt. My property also hasn't been hunted for about 4 years (well not legaly anyway) I am sure someone has jumped the fence a time or two. I am going to try some doe sent on one side of the woods and buck sent on the other and see what happens. Thanks