Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

intruiging target idea

Old 11-30-2005, 10:30 PM

Default intruiging target idea

I've recently come accross a friend of mine who shoots in the off season on his farmland with an interesting concept for a target. it's a lifesized deer with hidden vitals that you can check later! sure, it takes some time but it's a hell of a lot of fun, and good practice!

1. takes large slats of cardboard (he finds refrigerator boxes from sears, which are always available) and freehands a deer on them, lifesized. if you don't feel comfortable doing this, you can always cut out a printer paper sized deer and wire-hang it in front of a lamp without the shade, sillouhetting the deer on the board and trace it. Cut out the deer with an exacto knife (careful, of course!)

2. using wood steaks, duct tape or carpenter staple them to the back of the deer around the feet region, like a decoy.

3. head around to the back of the deer, and, with the aide of online anatomy photos (easily googled), draw the outlines of the lungs, heart, or spine or whatever you aim to be shooting at.

4. color coat it if you're picky!

5. go ahead and pick a spot, random or predetermined yardage, from your shooting spot whether it be a treestand or blind or just from a chosen "spot
".

6. Head to your spot, chamber a round, and practice glassing for deer, when you come accross it, time yourself on your shots! think about your accuracy, and your efficiency. take 3 or 5 shots or so, glassing and focusing each time, and then go check the backside for your vitals!

Once again, this is kind of a large taxing procedure and in many ways is unnecessary for you experienced hunters, but anything helps. with a little imagination you can actually catch a bit of buck fever when you glass over your "deer"! It's great for beginners, and all around fun. I'm doing it competatively with a couple buddies this weekend! should be fun, have some $$$ riding on it!
Old 12-01-2005, 05:14 AM

Default RE: intruiging target idea

good tip.
I did that and took it to a logging road and steped off the distance to the cutout for a range estament. you can turn the scope up to 9 and get the deer into the recticals,then you know the distance. turn it to 4 power and get it inside the rectials and then you know that distance.

you can go from 3 power to 9 power at each distance and know what the distance is.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:23 AM

I do that except I use the paper lifesize photos that archery hunters use. They are inexpensive and it shows the deer in full lifesize color photo.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good idea, but remember you are shooting at a flat target and the deer's bodyis more like a tube and the vitals are three dimensional. Shots from different angles will have to be adjusted.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

good tip.
I did that and took it to a logging road and steped off the distance to the cutout for a range estament. you can turn the scope up to 9 and get the deer into the recticals,then you know the distance. turn it to 4 power and get it inside the rectials and then you know that distance.
you can go from 3 power to 9 power at each distance and know what the distance is.

Been doing it for years!