HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Makes no sense (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/122748-makes-no-sense.html)

kim398pl 11-28-2005 04:58 AM

Makes no sense

Last weekend we saw deer all over the place, 3 were killed on the club. We were seeing and jumping them like crazy. Thanksgiving day, husband goes to his usually morning hunt. He gets in the stand at 7 pm, he looks to his right, no deer, looks to straight and there is a deer, shot and was out of the stand at 7:10. Weather over that weekend was windy, cold and rainy. Weather on T-day, was windy very windy.

I go Friday, in the stand by 6:35, Weather was cold and a little breezy all weekend long, stayed there until 8:45, then walked to my other stand, saw no deer on the way. Stayed there until 10 pm or so, got down and walked to the stand I was hunting in, still no deer, went to camp and ate breakfast, went back out at 11:30, stayed in one stand until 1:30 then went to my other stand, still seeing no deer. Stayed in theat stand till 3:00, was tired, got down and came back to camp. We decided to come home, so we could go out to eat for my birthday.

Friday evening hunt from club members, 3 members hunting, no one saw or jumped anything, same goes for saturday and sunday hunt.

I was very aggravated. I was hunting in the stand that is the "hot stand" This guy has seen deer everytime he say there and has taken 2 bucks, a 6 pointer nad 7 pointer, he let me hunt there cause it was my birthday. I saw nothing, not even squrrels or crows. Made me so mad.

We were suppose to go today, as Monday is our regular hunting day, but it is suppose to be 60-70% chance rain with winds from 15-25 MPH, I don't like to hunt like that, but gee we saw so many deer last week with these kinds of conditions, except maybe the wind, it may have been 10-15 mph hour then.

UGH, I just had to share on my frustration.

jrbsr 11-28-2005 05:14 AM

RE: Makes no sense

Thats how my luck gos to[8D]

Them deer just don't want to coperate at all some times.

Just keep your chin up and keep on keeping on.

Good Luck

kevin1 11-28-2005 06:19 AM

What you're experiencing is the perfectly normal mid-rut lull , most if not all of the breeder bucks and does are busy right now . Most of what you'd see right now would be younger bucks and unbred does , assuming that you see any at all . Movement is nearly all nocturnal and will stay that way until the first rank does are all bred . Deer sightings should return to normal by early next month .

ryan m 11-29-2005 10:37 AM

Not trying to discourage you but I see a few things that possibly contributed to the lack of deer sightings.

1. Jumping deer, whether walking to or from a stand, is never a good thing. Sometimes it's not our fault but it happens. Once alerted, those deer will be harder to hunt.

2. If you or the other members of your hunting party make it a habit to change stands constantly throughout the day then there is little doubt why no one is seeing deer. The biggest detriment to any piece of hunting land is in-season walking. Deer just won't tolerate that much pressure. Essentially what you are doing is putting three times the hunting pressure on the deer if you sat in three different stands. I'm sure you scouted before the season started. Have confidence in those spots instead of blowing three different stands.

whitetailblaster 11-29-2005 11:59 AM

Was there wind that day? Was the wind blowing from behind you? If so, thats never a good thing

Steve F.in MD 11-29-2005 01:47 PM

I'd have to agree with Ryan M. Sit still for cryin' out loud. If you keep thinking the grass is always greener at a different stand you're never going to see deer.
Good luck.

mauser06 11-29-2005 02:56 PM

hard to see deer at night period unless your using a spotlight?? unless you meant AM but you typed PM twice...maybe a typo.....i dont know anyone but poachers that hunt at night lol......sure it was a typo.....but id think that you guys jumping the deer and alot of constant pressure smartened your deer up...if not pushed them off your land period....good luck........

Howler 11-29-2005 03:28 PM

I agree with ryan also. You can't keep moving the deer around all day long and expect them to "not change thier habits". If everyone in your club moves from stand to stand several times a day, and moves deer each time, the deer will become nocturnal to avoid all the hunters!