Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what the hell is going on

Old 11-27-2005, 10:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what the hell is going on

[/quote]

While I agree with everything you said about being patient when following a hit deer, your statement about the 75 yards is not always true. The last buck I shot with my 30-30 was a through-through double lung shot (missed the heard, but the lungs were solidly hit). 40 yard shot. The deer, unpushed, went 130 yards before it crashed and burned. He died right at that point, well before I got out of my stand.

I will have to say that this deer was surprising in this regard. I've never had a deer or moose that went more than 75 yards with two holed lungs.
[/quote]

Zeke,
I can believe that. Adrenaline can work wonders. I have found that a
30-30hit anywhere in the chest cavity in front of the diaphram produces a quick kill. A 130 yard run would still classify as a quick kill in my book. I would say that a shoulder hit deer where the bullet exits from the other shoulder is a very rare creature who goes muchbeyond these distances.

C. Davis
Old 11-28-2005, 01:05 AM
Fork Horn

Murph999,
It's unfortunate you were unable to recover anything. Sounds like your getting good hits and blood trail to track. What kind of ammo? Might want to change. Good Luck!!
Old 11-28-2005, 04:29 AM
Typical Buck

Shoot them in the scalpula, there is a main network of veins and nerves under this shoulder plate. They will drop dead in their tracks.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:36 AM

When you shoot the deer, wait in the stand for about 5-10 mins. So you can wait for the deer to bleed to death, kneel down, and die. If you get down right when you shoot it, you can chase them forever. It's one of those things. I learned that when I shot a 6 point. There was meat and hair. I got down the stand right away and started tracing. I seen him struggling on the ground, he spotting me, and starting runnning off. I never found him, it's just one of those things. Sorry to hear about you losing 2 bucks in a row, try this next time and see what happens
Old 11-28-2005, 01:44 PM

hey guys, thanks for the advice. I am going back up again this weekend, mayb the third time will be a charm . This time im gonna aim alittle higher on the body, i usually aim lower and try for a heart shot, or seperate the aorta and i think i must have jerked the trigger and thats y it went just alil low and was a leg shot. well i can say that this will be a season i will never forget, and being fairly new to hunting i learned alot of stuff. well u always read to sit and wait and not push them but then ur in the moment and excited and go against it and then u screw yourself. this experience has made me a better hunter. atleast i have become very good at tracking hahaha. alright thanks guys, goodluck with ur hunting.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

similarly, I took a friend on his first hunt this weekend. He shot a doe with my 30-30 at 70 yds. The deer went down, got up quickly walked 20 yards and laid down next to a tree. I told my frined to stay for a while and let her die. 5 minutes later she got up and started slowly walking away. He shot and hit again and she went down for good.
When we got there the first shot was a perfect double lung midway up the animal right behind the shoulder. The second was a lower shot exploding the heart.
It was amazing to see that animal get up after bedding down for a few minutesfrom a double lung