Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dead deer in public view???

Old 11-25-2005, 11:06 PM

Default RE: Dead deer in public view???

I'd say just keep it tasteful and be mindful of those who are easily offended, especially if you're around city folks.

Passing legislation, in my humble opinion, is the absolute worst way to address the problem. What defines "public display"? It can be selectively enforced, or over-enforced, without much rule-bending at all. If you have a couple antis in office, it allows them to make life real hard on hunters. It really should be up to individual responsibility, and if it's a big problem, they can make a point of it in hunters' ed courses.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:03 AM

I always put it in the back of the pickup or in a trailer just for convenience and to keep the road grime to a minimum.

My nephew from Wisconsin told me that you had to display at least part of the deer in that state? Is that true?
Old 11-26-2005, 12:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm with Red. Times have changed and it's time to be politicly correct weather you like it or not. In urban areas where a lot of hunters have to travel through.It is in very bad taste to display a carcus in plain view of the general plublic.I hunt and travel in the Baltimore/Washinton DC corridor. Displaying in this area is not a good thing but in Wyoming or Colorado it would proablly be an accepted practice.If you hold hunting dear to your heart you will do what is needed to do to preserve it for our next generation.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with Red 100%!
I don't see deer on parade much anymore, thankfully!
Think about the non-hunters, children, and future hunters. Its just not good to offend those who don't like the sight of dead, bloody animals paraded around them! Sure, show 'em off to your friends, but not public display! That does nothing to promote hunting, or hunters!
Remember, its not just thumbing your nose at anti's, that you are doing! It may be turning someone we need in our corner in the future, thats being offended!
Old 11-26-2005, 05:16 AM

it sure is bad to see the left=over body dumped on the side of the road or floating in the creek. And the small body laying on the toolbox. I know hunters like to show off their deer laying in the open. But there are many people that hate seeing these dead creatures even in my small town of less than 100 people. I have done it myself to the 10th; power when i was a kid,but now i shut the tail gate and won't lay it across the hood of my car anymore. I killed a nice buck last year 7 point with a 19 1/2 inside spread. i put it in the truck bed and shut the tail gate. but i did lay it so the horns could be seen .I reckon i need to get a turtleneck shirt so the folks around home can't see my neck.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

I am considering taking on the daunting task (or at least planting the political seeds) of getting legistlation passed in Tennessee that would outlaw the public display of any animals taken while hunting. It just urks me too no end when I see some REDNECK, backwoods, toothless, banjo pickin inbred rolling down the road in his jackedup 4x4 with a dead deer lying in the bed of the truck with the tailgate left down EXPRESSLY for the purpose of showing the world a bloodied and lifeless animal that was killed at the hands of this "hunter". It REALLY gets too me when I see the deer tied on the hood, atop the roof or strapped too a trailer or atop an ATC which is riding along behind the tow vehicle.
To each his own Red BUT"Don't Tread on ME" ... I don't need the "State" or the "Goverment" making any more laws in regards to hunting !!

dd
Old 11-26-2005, 05:52 AM

Its simple for me...its called judgement and respect. We have people at all levels on both scores....and I guess its an individual thing...Some people feel bad after a shot and killing an animal, others cheer and act crazy. For me, its great when I am successful and I always thank God for the opportunity to harvest. To drive around with an animal strapped on a car top or have it hanging out the back of a truck seems like not only poor judgement but what does it say about care of the meat?
Old 11-26-2005, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think legislation is the right avenue to pursue. The purpose of your excercise is to get hunters to stop displaying animals and sway the general population to the opinion that hunting is not a negative aspect of society. Getting legislation to pass on this will result in animosity and resentment.

My recommendation to you would be to attack this problem more from an education/evangalistic perspective. In New Hampshire, there is a section in the hunter education program that addresses public perception of hunters. One of the issues described is public display of game harvested. The recommendation is to close the tailgate of the truck assuming you are using one and not allow any part of the animal to be exposed.

Why not talk to your local hunters to get their buy in not to display their harvest. Then you can get support from non-hunters so they understand what you are trying to do. Try an experimental period where all hunters (or as many as you can get access to) agree not to expose their harvest. After the period is done, poll the general population and get their impression of the excercise. This will accomplish a few things:

1. No resentment from local hunters.
2. Good understanding of how senisitive an issue this is for you locally.
3. Good PR with general non-hunting population
4. Real case study you can use to take this to more of a statewide approach if needed and proven successful.

Good luck
Old 11-26-2005, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mustad

I don't think legislation is the right avenue to pursue. The purpose of your excercise is to get hunters to stop displaying animals and sway the general population to the opinion that hunting is not a negative aspect of society. Getting legislation to pass on this will result in animosity and resentment.

My recommendation to you would be to attack this problem more from an education/evangalistic perspective. In New Hampshire, there is a section in the hunter education program that addresses public perception of hunters. One of the issues described is public display of game harvested. The recommendation is to close the tailgate of the truck assuming you are using one and not allow any part of the animal to be exposed.

Why not talk to your local hunters to get their buy in not to display their harvest. Then you can get support from non-hunters so they understand what you are trying to do. Try an experimental period where all hunters (or as many as you can get access to) agree not to expose their harvest. After the period is done, poll the general population and get their impression of the excercise. This will accomplish a few things:

1. No resentment from local hunters.
2. Good understanding of how senisitive an issue this is for you locally.
3. Good PR with general non-hunting population
4. Real case study you can use to take this to more of a statewide approach if needed and proven successful.

Good luck
HEAR HEAR ... WELL SAID MUSTAFF ...NOW THATS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT !

DD
Old 11-26-2005, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree the animal andthe publicneed to be respected after the kill, but, keep the law out of it!! This will only lead to trouble IMO!!

Quick Reply: Dead deer in public view???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.