HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Scope Help Please (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/122437-scope-help-please.html)

bgcorn 11-24-2005 02:33 PM

Scope Help Please

I bought a new Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 scope and weaver one piece base and ringsfor my Remington 30-06. Installed them went to a gun shop and had it bore sighted. Finally got it on a target at 50 yds its shooting 6 inches low and my elevation is as far up as it will go. Dont want to mess up my new scope what can I do to make it shoot higher?

Tree climber 11-24-2005 02:57 PM

RE: Scope Help Please

friend of mine had the same problem , he shimmed the scope from the back. lossened the back rings,cut a strip from a coke can the same width as the ring,folded it three times and put it under the back ring and started again.loosen the front ring first before you put it under the back one
that is the easy way he did it.it worked great for him.

loner 11-25-2005 04:10 AM

good advice from tree climber.i have done the same thing and it works well.i would take the scope back and get another one rather than shiming it.it depends on the cost of the scope.normally.scopes under $100 are the ones that have given me this kind of problem.the ones i have had this problem with were trades or hand me downs[they knew the scope did not have enough adjustment to zero and did not trust it]most manufacturers will let you ship the scope back for inspection and repair.the only problem is with low cost scopes,the postage and bother sometimes is hardly worth the trouble.if you have high mounts or see throughs,could cause the problem also.good luck.

Mastevt 11-25-2005 04:16 AM

I had a Luepold VXII that I shipped back for repairs, when it came back I put it on my Muzzelloader and it had the same problem. I shimmed it using a piece of window screen. Worked well, and is still on my CVA. Good luck.

mossy33oak 11-25-2005 05:07 AM

I had this problem also, and did the shim thing too, for 14 years my 30-30 was shimmed with no problems. I finally bought a new scope and it did the same thing so I took my gun to my gunsmith and he said the rings were not true. He lapped them to suqare them up and my gun was fine with no shim. Just giving you an option to possibly fix this without shimming.

bgcorn 11-25-2005 12:27 PM

Thanks Guys my father in law made me a shim put it under the rear mount. I got it zeroed in this afternoon. Taking it to the woods this evening hope I get to try it out!:)

A.D.D. BOY 11-25-2005 12:32 PM

If all else fails take it to a gun shop. Hope everything works out.

j. plate 11-25-2005 12:33 PM

Check to make sure that you have mounted the scope on the lowest rings possible for your scope and gun combo. The closer you can put your scope's line of sight to your bore, the better off you're going to be.

If the scope is as low as possible, you'll have to shim it. Very thin steel stock works well.

CrazyBuB 11-27-2005 01:11 AM

lightly tap on windage knobs first they stick at times