Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Can you tell a doe is pregnant >

Can you tell a doe is pregnant

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can you tell a doe is pregnant

Old 11-24-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Can you tell a doe is pregnant

OK so I always ask wierd questions, but I have wondered about this for a long time. I know we have shot deer and someone has said, I believe she was pregnant, but we never knew. I had actually wanted to perform an autopsy to see.

So my questions is. would you be able to tell if a doe is pregnant and how?
Old 11-24-2005, 05:45 AM

Default RE: Can you tell a doe is pregnant

you just have to look at the birth canel and find the birth sack.it is an almost clear tube; you can see the little one if she is.just follow the tube from the badck to tward the front.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Honestly, why would you wanna know?
Old 11-24-2005, 07:47 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: aldo88

Honestly, why would you wanna know?

Old 11-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

well this time of year is when they start breeding. How could you even tell it would be like a embryo (sp?). The season would be far over before you could tell that she was pregant.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:44 AM

well this time of year is when they start breeding. How could you even tell it would be like a embryo (sp?). The season would be far over before you could tell that she was pregant.
See that is what I though too. It would be too early to tell.

[quote[Honestly, why would you wanna know?[/quote]

I just wanted to know, cause I assumed it would be tooe arly to tell and was wondering why I hear people tell me that shot a doe and she was pregnant. It did not make sense to me, as this would be towards the end of the season, which would be lke 3 weeks after the 2nd rut, unless it is late or something. So I wanted to get informed, so I caols actualy get into that conversation..

Thanks all
Old 11-27-2005, 12:01 PM

If you are harvesting does for herd mgmt you CAN'T be concerned about pregnant does. In most overpopulated states the majority of does ARE pregnant after their first cycle. But that shouldn't stop you from harvesting them. I hate to be cruel, but in all reality if you really have an overpopulated herd and are thinning the antlerless you can't even let the presence of fawns stop you from taking does. I know that's a hard to pill to swallow and some will for sure call me names for it. But the truth is the truth and bioligical studies show this. After the fawns loose their spots (typically after late Sept or the first week or so of Oct at the latest) they are capable of surviving without nursing on momma.

As for detecting a fetus, most of us are not capable of telling so. Not until late winter or early spring is the embryo large enough to make out what is what. By then the season is over so what difference would it make anyway?

Assume they are ALL pregnant if any breeding has already taken place. You are shooting does for herd reduction anyway correct? Then why let them walk even if you somehow could know?
RA
Old 11-27-2005, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

I shot two does the other day, one still had some residue if you catch my drift, other one was older and clean....
Old 11-28-2005, 04:51 AM

yeah, We are taking does for herd management or we are suppose to be. But a buddy on the club has killed 2 so far adn both were bucks, iti s not like he could have shot a doe, each time there were about 4 deer, 3 doe nad one buck and he took the buck both times. I have never killed a buck, but then again all I usually see our does anyway.

I just can't shoot, if it still has spots, but I have never seen one. Last year was the first year that I saw a tearling with the momma and well I could not leave one without the other so I shot both only logical thing to do....lol

As far as being pregnant, it doe snot matter, I just hate the "know it alls" who swear there dow was pregnant, when really anyone should know you oculd not tell this early,,unless possible you put the deerunder a sonogram...lol

Thanks
All
Still deerless so far.