HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Hunting on ground (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/122378-hunting-ground.html)

Natalie 11-23-2005 11:07 PM

Hunting on ground

anyone else do it? to me, being set up on a fallen tree or anything like that is so much more natural then having a box stand where the deer know something isnt right with that shape in the woods..

so who else hunts ground?

i get in full camo, all you can see is my eyes.. i had a doe 20yards away from me and even look at me as i raised my gun and she didnt get spooked.. only bad thing was it was just buck that day.. and i didnt have a tag for a doe

NY Bowhunter 11-24-2005 04:31 AM

RE: Hunting on ground

I love hunting from the ground. Nothing like having a deer within bowrange at eye level. Hunting a nice big blowdown with some cover around you is perfect. I have several "homemade" ground blinds carved out on my land. Some nice locations where you can't hang a stand.
Next year I'm digging a pit[:-]:D. Dig a big hole in the ground with just your eyes sticking above ground level. Plop some brush next to it and presto a perfectly concealed blind.

spde911 11-24-2005 04:37 AM

I've done it during bow season and didn't have much luck so I now use a tree stand for bow hunting. I normally use a stand for gun season also, but feel that hunting from the ground is much easier with a gun then a bow. I'm taking my son out this weekend and we'll probably just find a hiding spot to sit on the ground.

BIGSCRAPE 11-24-2005 04:44 AM

Most of my hunting over the last 3 yearshas beendone out of a lawn chair in the middle of the bush. No scent cover, no camo and covered head to toe in blaze orange. Twice I have had deer within 4-8 yards. Shot a nice 6pt a couple years ago less than a first down away. Almost gave a fork horn a heart attack this year. He was about 4 yards away (I hadalready decided not to take him) when I yelled "get out of here" Poor thing froze for a second then tore off at about a 100 mph.

Ground hunting is definatly rewarding and intense!!

huntnma 11-24-2005 06:12 AM

i love finding ol fallen trees to climb up in, after the hurricanes it was a field day....

Rickmur 11-24-2005 06:16 AM

Next year I'm digging a pit[:-]:D. Dig a big hole in the ground with just your eyes sticking above ground level. Plop some brush next to it and presto a perfectly concealed blind.
I've thought of doing that but I hunt with Davidmil and I can just see him mistaking my pit for his blue undie dumping ground[&:]. I want to tryit though non the less.

saulthunter 11-24-2005 06:16 AM

shot my first deer from the ground he was about 25 yards away and i was just sitting in front of a tree
i think its great

Rebel Hog 11-24-2005 07:12 AM

They use to call me the Road Hi-jacker.:DI would walk the logging roads looking for crossing tracks, when I found some good fresh deer tracks , I would back off about 50yds and wait for them on the side of the road.
It is a little dangerous if there are to many hunters in the area!

jimmy the foot 11-24-2005 08:53 AM

i like to hunt ground especially during gun season. quick in, fast set up. action is usually close, ooooh i love it. i have tried ground blinds and they work good but you need to throw a bunch of crap around them to brake up the outline. the one thing that may be a downer with ground blinds is in windy conditions it looks wierd to me compared to the natural habitate. now i don't know if the deer see it as wierd due to the camo and brush around it but that is a situation were it may not work. saying this i know of forts and blinds that are up all season and the deer are very acustomed to them and thats when i think a blind is at it's best. yep hunting eyeball to eyeball gives you a litle bit more adrenaline in the veins i'd say. good luck this season, and be a responsible hunter and help control the deer population, kill a slob:D

Colin3 11-24-2005 09:07 AM

Just got my first deer and took him sitting against a fallen tree in some hard woods. Was about thirty yards from my stand but decided that morning to stay on the ground in another position.

here is a picture: