HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Stand Help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/122318-stand-help.html)

kwaldeier 11-23-2005 02:50 PM

Stand Help

yes i am making a treestand for ag class and i was thinking of makeing a ladder out of square tubing
i was wanting to know if anyone has any suggestions or pictures of how i could make it so i can bolt the ladder to the base whenever i need it ???
also i was wondering if i could make an adjustible thing out of 1 inch square tubing????as shown
if anyone has any suggestions im all ears
this is my first ag project so im trying to make it "perfect "
specifications in picture
i think there is 55 feet of metal there
if i am wrong please correct me

DJanes1 11-23-2005 03:08 PM

RE: Stand Help

Are you mdifyinga kit or building your own? If building your own, stop and by one they already figured it out for you. They are not expensive.

kwaldeier 11-23-2005 03:46 PM

im building one from skratch

SyPTo 11-23-2005 06:03 PM

i wouldn't build it as you have drawn it, there's a design flaw in your drawing.think about apllying force ont eh platform and think what the reaction to the force is going to be.. force has to be canceled out.. the strap on the platform is too low , it's no so much a problem when you on the edge of the platform as the force will act as a lever and pull the wire into the tree, the rest of the force will be dissapated through the ladder..

however where is the force going when you stand close to the tree ?...there would not be a big lever and such the force would push the platform down the tree instead of pulling the string into the tree.

the most easiest solution for this is where the strap attaches to the platform , put a vertical riser on teh platform in essence making a bigger lever when you stand at the tree.. then also secure the platform at the platform height or maybe a tad lower..

If you look at factory made tree stand you will see that in almost all cases the top of the ladder where the strap attaches to the tree is about 2 feet above the standing platform..

kwaldeier 11-24-2005 03:38 PM

i guess i could puta square made of 3 bars from the back of the base so i could put #9 wire around it
i understand what ur saying and its a good point but im low on money so i left that out in the 1st place does anyone have another solution besides adding a square on the back?

kwaldeier 11-25-2005 03:35 PM

nevermind i am editing this for the final time

RonM 11-25-2005 05:23 PM

Your plan looks pretty much like my store bought one from Cabela's my joints are crimped on the legs and one slides into the other for final assembly. You could probably slide something in to join the two sections and screw it or bolt it to hold it together.. Instead of the plywood floor you might be able to use expanded metal, I would prefer the plywood, but it;s lifespan is shorter, looks good, good luck.....

xeniabuck 11-25-2005 08:58 PM

Another thing you might want to do is add some supports coming off bottom of seat and weld them to the first step. Thats What I usually do when I build mine. It's gonna be tough to weld that metal, trust me. You better have a good wire welder handy.