HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Where to go on a whitetail hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/122292-where-go-whitetail-hunt.html)

silver 77/50 11-23-2005 10:24 AM

Where to go on a whitetail hunt

Looking for suggestions on where to go to bag a good whitetail.I live in Northern Lower Michigan and need to see the sights of some place different and have the chance to shoot a good buck.I would like to do it onmy own no guide no outfitter.What area? what state? offers the best chances for a do it yourself hunt.I have looked at Montana some and Wyoming.I also have lots of free time in the month of December any good places to hunt that time of year.Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.Mike

silver 77/50 11-26-2005 09:48 AM

RE: Where to go on a whitetail hunt

So no one knows where to go or everyone on here thinks I should use the services of a guide/outfitter.Come on someone must have some advice .Anyone out there from Montana????

A the P 11-26-2005 09:57 AM

I'd check the woods first off.

JagMagMan 11-26-2005 10:02 AM

I'd say for a good getaway, look at South Texas, or Canada! Be prepared to pay big bucks, for big bucks!:D
Just do a websearch for outfitters, and there is a list of outfitters here on the Huntingnet!

Chuck7 11-26-2005 10:31 AM

I would ask some of your neighboring farmers for permission. If not ..I'm sure Michigan has public land to hunt on. This is also part of the modern hunting process. You have hunting maps and contacts at your very own fingertips. I found Hunting.Net this way. It's never easy and you will need to work.

1. Find the website that gives you all the Wildlife Managements in your state. You can usually find the results of those somewhere. If it's that horrible I'd be looking toward Illinois . They are crawling with deer.

Take a drive in the country and nicely ask for permission.

3. And then you have to hunt. Mr. Buck is a challenge and even on good property ya gotta do your homework.
Good luck

PS I just checked out the Michigan web-site. YOur state is number 2 in deer killed in 2005.1.7 millionYou are 2nd to Alabamaat 1.75 millionMan you are sitting on a gold mine. My state was so bad it said N/A LOL Florida

Rebel Hog 11-26-2005 10:39 AM

I believe theres a teriffic place called the Sanctuary in West Central, MI.. There's were Dale Earnhart use to hunt!

rcgerchow 11-26-2005 11:39 AM

I understand your dilema, I have hunted in Mich. for about forty years. Most of our bucks are not the size you see of Wisc. or Ill. bucks. Someone mentioned the Sancutary, I think this is a deer farm (no license required) and probably the easiest way to take trophy antlers. There is a lot of land in the U.P. (CFA land) i's just you have to put in the time and there are good bucks. Lower Mich. actually has bucks the size of Wisc and Ill. but much of that land is private, leased or owned by horseman. I have tried for many years looking at Christmas tree growers in Northern Mich., orchard owners and growers and smaller truck farmers and have in some cases been succesful. Looking for that massive buck took me to Wisc. on a bowhunt earlier this year, quite a disaster for the price. There are many outfitters that will provide the land on a do-it yourself basis, you still pay but it is less expensive than a full guided hunt (research).