HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Winchester Partition Gold/Platinum Slugs? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/122276-winchester-partition-gold-platinum-slugs.html)

BJR224 11-23-2005 07:50 AM

Winchester Partition Gold/Platinum Slugs?

Hi everyone. New member, just joined today.

Has anyone shot those Winchester Partition Gold/Platinum Slugs yet? I heard good and bad things about them. I tried them out at the range and they didn't group well at all for me. So I went back to shooting the Federals which shoot great. I use a870 Wingmaster w/ a canti barrel (rifled).

Rebel Hog 11-23-2005 08:07 AM

RE: Winchester Partition Gold/Platinum Slugs?

Welcome BJR!

I have only shot the Win.BRI and Silver Tips!

Rebel Hog 11-23-2005 08:09 AM

Champlain Islander 11-23-2005 08:10 AM

I use them in my Ithica 37 deerslayer and they group well. A little pricey but a good slug for my gun. Welcome BJR.

BJR224 11-23-2005 11:19 AM

Thanks all!

Yeah I have had different people give me both good and bad reviews. I guess it just deoends on if your particular gun likes them or not.

AJ52 11-23-2005 12:18 PM

BJR,
Welcome to HuntingNet.
I ran 2 boxes of them thru my 870 special purpose(new last year)last year.
I was getting flyers and just plain lousy groups.My 870 is very picky about "hot barrel" and cleaning every 3-4 rounds.I'm using Lights at the moment and they group good.So - keep the ole barrel cool between shots and clean that sabot residue out frequently.

BJR224 11-23-2005 12:53 PM

Thanks AJ, glad to be a member!

Yeah, that is exactlly the problem I was getting with them too.

I will have to try those Lights too. I have heard from several people now that the 870 groups them well. If you get a chance try the Federal Hydra Shock's. They are very simialr to the Light's.I think they both have around 1450 muzzle vel. Have always performed well in the field for me.

I know what you mean about that barrel too. Always throws those first 2-3 out there tight. But don't clean that sucker and keep running shells through it...well you know what I'm talking about.

bdbwtie101 11-23-2005 04:17 PM

hi and welcome, i use a remington 870 with a cantilever barrel, shooting winchester supreme partitions, i cleaned my barrel between every shoot and throurghly cooled down and got excellent results with them, they do do a number on the deer though!

tucker610 11-23-2005 06:38 PM

I tried them out of my 1100 20 gauge and I found Remington Buckhammers to group much better.

Now, I am stuck with a couple boxes of expensive slugs that I won't use.

Natalie 11-24-2005 04:52 PM

We shot some out of my mossberg 835 today, they did great