Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scrub Brush or Big Woods?

Old 11-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scrub Brush or Big Woods?

I live in Illinois, so it doesn't matter where you are, you are going to see deer. I hunt onsome of my dad's ground right now, which is mostly small patches of scrub brush. I've killed my share of does, but not one buck. Bucks hang around during the rut, but my guess is they come from a bigger woods to check on the does. I was just wondering what would be my best bet to get a buck, stay hunting the scrub brush, or move on to a bigger woods?
Old 11-22-2005, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scrub Brush or Big Woods?

mack a mock scrape and put some buck urine on it with active scrape or doe estrus. hit it about 2-3 times a week and see what happens. i made three this year. two in the woods and on in the open under a hanging branch about chest high. the deer love it. they come mostly at night but on some days they seem to come in droves to the scrape. the other day my moms boyfriend was hunting by it and he saw 11 doe and 1 little buck. we know there is a nice mature buck out there because of all the rubbing but have yet to see him. hopefully one of use will bag him if he's still alive.