HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   should have i shot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/122209-should-have-i-shot.html)

deerhunter1224 11-22-2005 05:39 PM

should have i shot

Got down from my stand about 20 minutes before sunset. Saw this deer out in the middle of the field. I sat there along the edge of the field. It got probably at its closest to me about 100 yard i was hunting with a shot gun. I had one of those shooting sticks you can attach to your stand. I thought it would help to make a soild shoot rest I was wrong.
Question 1 what could have i used to make a solid shooting rest?
Question 2 should have I shot? I felt it was to far and didnt have solid rest to shoot.
question 3 I heard that a alone deer that isnt a buck tend to be button buck is this true?

zekeskar 11-22-2005 05:47 PM

RE: should have i shot

Well my opinion is always if in doubt don't shoot. Have you shot your shotgun at 100 yards to see what it does and what you can do as far as accuracy? That would be the first question. The second is whether you could get a good rest for the shot.

uncle matt 11-22-2005 06:03 PM

deerhunter1224 sez......

should have I shot? I felt it was to far and didnt have solid rest to shoot.
There you go. You already knew answered your own question. You knew your own personal limitations and operated within them - that's playing it smart.

RIGHT DECISION.

pjhunts 11-22-2005 06:30 PM

trees make for good shooting rests, put your non trigger hand against the tree, and IMO a lone deer without antlers is usually a button buck

A.D.D. BOY 11-22-2005 06:30 PM

Did u shoot or not im confused?

jerseyhunter 11-22-2005 06:31 PM

Smart decision.

You could have used your stand or pack as a rest asuming it was on your back. Next to a tree ,lean your arm against the trunk angled slightly upand rest the gun on you wrist.
But by all means know where the slug shoots at 100 yds.
Alone deer doesnt have to be a button, itcould also be a doe.

FlDeerman 11-22-2005 06:37 PM

You could sit down and shoot off your knee.You made the right choice.

jimmy the foot 11-22-2005 08:40 PM

never shoot unless you know you can hit the target and give the animal aclean kill. at 100 yards you should be able to make that shot if your gun is tuned and you've practiced at that range a little. i don't have those shooting sticks but i do have a sling that i weave my arm through and bring it in tight to my shoulder. i go to a squat position and concentrate on resting the sling arm on my knee or just above it. practice looking through your scope in this position. watch how your breathing and trigger pull moves the reticle. remember only shoot on the pause after inhale or exhale and don't pull the trigger, squeeze it. a little practice and you will have no trouble hitting a target with todays slugs at that range. good luck and i hope i gave you some pointers that will help you bag a slob:)

700bdl870exp 11-22-2005 08:57 PM

i used a fence post in the same situation earlier this fall on a big doe. 112yrds and stone dead

timbercruiser 11-22-2005 09:14 PM

I wonder why you left the stand 20 minutes before dark. That is the best time of the day to hunt to me.