HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Should I have told him off? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/122116-should-i-have-told-him-off.html)

St.EdsHunter 11-22-2005 01:14 AM

Should I have told him off?

I was hunting yesterday evening... maybe my last day in the woods for the fall so i was kinda just looking for some meet. I had see 6 bucks in the previous two days so had lots of chances but was waiting for something bigger. I was looking at a spike about last light and just before i pulled the trigger some jerk shot on the land behind us at about 200 yds from my stand just across the fence at a doe just on his side of the fence. No meat and I'm pissed! He shot from his truck... I saw him when i climbed down. Should I have gone and told him off? He had to see me in my stand with my blaze orange!

kevin1 11-22-2005 04:22 AM

RE: Should I have told him off?

You probably should have called a game warden unless shooting from the truck is legal there , but confronting someone who's armed is rarely a good idea .

Tree climber 11-22-2005 05:27 AM

if he was on his property and doing nothing illeagle , then you have nothing to be mad about.telling him off when he has a gun , could be a bad thing.
if shooting from a truck is legal in your state , then he has done nothing wrong.as for seeing you, "last light" , he may not have saw you.it's hard to say.

sorry you didn't get you meat deer.maybe you will get another chance.

jimmy the foot 11-22-2005 09:34 AM

you should have got his plate number, vehicle color and type. this is the second idiot story I've read today. report these morons and get them out of the woods they are going to end up hurting someone, themselves and the sport.

DUCKANDBUCKHUNTERMAN 11-22-2005 09:41 AM

I AGREE WITH GETING HIS LICENCES PLATE NUMBER AND CALLING THE GAMEWARDEN.

zekeskar 11-22-2005 10:49 AM

To me the one and only question - did he shoot illegally?

If it was an illegal shot, I wouldn't confront him - I'd just try to get the tag number and report him.

If not illegal - you have absolutely nothing to be upset about, in my opinion. He was 200 yards from you on his own land - heck, you wouldn't have anything to be upset about if he was 10 yards from you on the other side of a fence on his own land. He has no obligation to stay a certain distance from you if he's on his own land and you're on yours.

As for not getting your meat - you made a choice to not get meat by "waiting for a bigger one". I'm not disputing your choice, but as a meat hunter, that is a mistake in my opinion and you have nobody to blame but yourself. I would have gotten the meat first then waited for a trophy. But again, that's just my opinion and my personal style.

utmstudent 11-26-2005 10:09 AM

heck thats nothing. Two days before I killed my first deer of this season I had crapy hunts. Day one, to get to my stand I have to walk close to a mile, I get abotu 3/4 of the way there and here comes my grand father on the tractor. No chance of me killing one but since I was almost there I decided to go ahead and just sit in the stand. He left about 20 min before dark and a little 4 pt walked about 40 yards in front of me. I thought about shooting it but even if I was going to, there would not have been a chance for me too. The deer looks up and takes off running, I seen what he was running from, here comes the grandfather again, I guess he forgot something.

Day2, been hunting all day and about one hr before dark I hear this guy on his land behind me shewing cows. Basically you yell at cows to get them to move. So that just ruined my whole hunt.

moosehunter21 11-26-2005 10:13 AM

I would have gotten his plate number and vehicle type if it was illegal and then report it.

Rebel Hog 11-26-2005 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

if he was on his property and doing nothing illeagle , then you have nothing to be mad about.telling him off when he has a gun , could be a bad thing.
if shooting from a truck is legal in your state , then he has done nothing wrong.as for seeing you, "last light" , he may not have saw you.it's hard to say.

sorry you didn't get you meat deer.maybe you will get another chance.

Same thoughts here!

JagMagMan 11-26-2005 10:18 AM

If he was on his own property, and its legal to shoot from a vehicle in your state, then he broke no laws! If he was illegal, I'd have called a warden. But confrontations with an armed person, andpossible poacher, would not be wise!