HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Shotgun States (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/122094-shotgun-states.html)

xeniabuck 11-21-2005 08:28 PM

Shotgun States

I am from Illinois, and everybody probaly knows they do not allow rifles during any deer season. I am planning on going to college this semester and becoming a conservation officer when I get the oppurtunity. Only thing is, Illinois hardly ever hires, and I can't just sit and wait. I do not want to move a state that allows rifle hunting. What other states only allow shotguns during the season ?

jimmy the foot 11-21-2005 08:33 PM

RE: Shotgun States

new york, but if your in the Adirondacks or the southern portion you are allowed to use rifle also. i got a A.S.S in environmental conservation at finger lakes community college here in new york. loved every second of it but couldn't find a job so i work at a hospital now but still spend most of my time in the woods. good luck with your degree and hope you bag a slob this year.

THE FOOT

buckwild eb 11-21-2005 09:22 PM

what do you have against rifle hunting?

tj_cubin 11-21-2005 09:35 PM

i wouldnt base you decision on where to move on whether they allow rifle hunting.

ORIGINAL: THE FOOT
i got a A.S.S in environmental conservation at finger lakes community college here in new york. loved every second of it but couldn't find a job
sshhh, i dont need to hear that kind of talk!! im just going into natural resources at Morrisville State. They have some great internship connections, and i will have a leg up having a computer information systems degree as well, so there is some hope for me.

xeniabuck 11-21-2005 09:48 PM

Rifle hunting I just never enjoyed. I've been in rifle hunting in Missouri 4 times, and killed a deer each time. The feeling is not the same as getting a deer close up with a bow or shotgun and taking it. I'm not saying I'm against rifle hunting, but myself, I will never do it over shotgun or bow hunting.

Bionicrooster 11-21-2005 09:54 PM

Delaware and New Jersey are both Shotgon only. Delaware is a great little state with some real nice deer, plus awesome fishing and waterfowl hunting. New Jersey is..... well, its New Jersey.

mauser06 11-21-2005 10:34 PM

i hunt close quarters deer with a rifle...i havent killed one or had a shot at one out of todays shotgun range...most 25-50yds......im kinda kinda going to school for the same thing.....bt my school is one of 2 in the nation that offer a 4yr degree with a national park ranger training program...so my major is park and resource managment with a focus on law and the park ranger training...iplan to become a national parkranger....but with the degree and classes gameor fish commissioner ect is another option...i kinda want to start off as a park ranger.....and when i retire become agame warden.......who knows.....i gota make it throughfirst lol.........

Paul L Mohr 11-21-2005 11:19 PM

Michigan, Ohio and I think Indiana are all shotgun states. And some states like michigan are both shotgun and rifle depending on where you are located in the state.

Paul

Steve F.in MD 11-22-2005 03:14 AM

You do have the choiceof using a shotgun even in a state that allows rifles. Sounds like a not too well thought out reason to pick a place to live.

lovethebigguns 11-22-2005 05:13 AM

Indiana is shotgun only, no rifles.