HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   lightfield sabot question for u brotherin (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/122074-lightfield-sabot-question-u-brotherin.html)

jimmy the foot 11-21-2005 06:58 PM

lightfield sabot question for u brotherin

I SHOT A BUCK AT ABOUT 40 YARDS SQUARE IN THE CHEST WITH LIGHTFIELDS COMMANDER (sorry) 3" slugs. there was no damage to the diaphragm. do you guys think at this range there should have been and that the penetration of this slug won't be good say at 100+ yards. it looked like 3 of his 6 lobes of his lungs were destroyed but i really didn't look to closely at them. he went thirty yards and died within minutes. i only ask this question because I'm thinking of hunting over some large clover fields this week and i don't want to be taking 100+ yard shots if all I'm going to do is wound a deer and have them run to the next county to die. thanks for your response men and go kill a slob:)QUICK DATA ON ENERGY AT RANGES. 100 yards=1623 lbs, 125=1389, 150= 1218. data from there web site.

THE FOOT

Hoosier_Hunter1963 11-22-2005 05:52 AM

RE: lightfield sabot question for u brotherin

Mr. Foot,

I have my 14 year old son shooting Ligthfield slugs in his Rem. 870 - 20 gauge. They seem to be VERY accurate.

He killed his first deer with it on Saturday. 1 perfect double lung shot at 65 yards and the deer was dead in her tracks. It left sizable damage to both sides of her rib cage from that distance.

I couldn't get over the groupings these slugs were giving us while target shooting it.

OH-HUNT62 11-22-2005 06:37 AM

I killed a nice 8 point 3 yrs ago with lightfields, it dropped in its tracks like it fell from the sky.

timbercruiser 11-22-2005 06:41 AM

I'd be glad I didn't have to dress a gut shot deer myself. A shot from the front or side will easily kill a deer if you hit them in the right spot within range.

longrifle1000 11-22-2005 08:17 AM

Well, seems to me the slug worked. You deer died, and I doubt it could have died any quicker with any other slug. I have used lightfield slugs for some time now, with excellent results out to 125 yards. One thing you have to remember though, they are designed NOT to pass through the deer. Read on their website, it gives details as to why. Basically they feel if a slug passes through the deer, their is a waste of energy from the slug. Good luck to you.

jimmy the foot 11-22-2005 09:19 AM

thanks for the info men. i didn't realize that they were designed to not over penetrate or do a complete pass through. you all are great and this is the best forum i have been on. good luck this year and bag a slob.

longrifle1000 11-22-2005 10:09 AM

No problem. I thought their was a problem with them on the first deer I shot at 35 yards. Broadside shot, and it didn't exit. I was like, huh? LOL Then I read up on them and found out it did exactly as it was supposed to. Usually my slugs end up under the hide on the offside, and the deer drop very quickly. Good luck.

Phade 11-22-2005 04:11 PM

I've shot 3 does with the commanders, including one this past Saturday. I've had pass throughs on all 3 of them.

The first one was exceptional. I was using ACTIV slugs at the time (2 seasons ago not counting this one), and they went out of business. Unfortunately, I had a box of their slugs lined up, but they fell through at the last minute. I only had a couple left, so I went to the storethe night before season opener, and bought the lightfields.

That next morning, I had a doe come in, and shot her with my last two activs. Thus, I was forced to reload completely with the Lightfields, having never shot them through the gun before. About a 1/2 hour later, another doe came in and offered a 80 yard shot in between two trees. That deer dropped like a rock, and it went through and through. In fact, all 3 of my harvests with the lightfields have been through and through, and done considerable damage to their vitals.

I swear by them now. And to be honest, they shoot darn well in a smoothbore with the improved cylinder as they suggest on the box. Most gun-lovers won't try that, but I did at the manufacturer's reccommendation, and was VERY impressed.