HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Gun and Ammo report (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/122036-gun-ammo-report.html)

James B 11-21-2005 04:59 PM

Gun and Ammo report

I finished the first week of deer season. I filled six of my eight mule deer tags. I used a new 270 rifle this year. Its a 700 Remington ADL synthetic rifle. I didn't have time to work up reloads as I just picked this gun up. I used the new Federal FUSION loads in 130 grain. The shots ranged from one at 50 yards to one at 225 yards. The Federal loads worked so well that I may not even bother to reload for this rifle. They grouped onder one inch and clocked at 2878 fps. The all exited the deer and did plenty of damage without a bunch of excess meat damage. On the lung and heart shots, I had entrance holes about the size of a quarter and exit holes about the size of a tennis ball. I am sold on these bullets for deer and I think they would work very well on Elk as well. Federal and other reports that I have read recommends them for deer and elk.

While I am not a big fan of Leupold, the VX-l scope that I mounted on this rifle has performed very well in every catagory. The new rifle fed and performed without a flaw of any kind.

Little Yellowjacket 11-21-2005 05:03 PM

RE: Gun and Ammo report

haven't used Federal for rifle loads, but for shotgun shells, that is all I use. Do they make them for a 30-30? IMO LEUPOLD ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!

JagMagMan 11-21-2005 05:17 PM

Thanks for the report. I'll have to try the Fusions, I've been having problems with expansion with my 7MM RM on Whitetails! I know it shouldn't be possible, but I'm beginning to think that they are going through so fast that they don't have enough time, or resistance to expand!

DoctorDeath 11-21-2005 05:26 PM

Very good report ...I shoot an old Belgium made Browning FN Mauser bolt action rifle from 1966 in a 270. I have been shooting Hornady 150 grain NBT ... at this point I am please with the results ...I shot abuck with it Saturday and the exit hole in the righ front sholder was as big as a softball ... I also have my rifle equipped with a Leaupold Euro and love the scope ... after the season I will have to try the Federal ....

dd

James B 11-21-2005 05:43 PM

Jag MagMan. You could be right. There is a little known and never talked about thing called bullet hang time which is the time that the bullet spends in the target. It can effect bullet performance and would indicate that velocity is not the only key to good bullet performance. This was studied by steel silhouette shootes that found that slower moving bullets were more apt to topple the steel targets. Sort of a test was to shoot an aluminum can with a fast moving projectile. It would shoot through the can without even wiggling it. Slow the projectile down and it still went through the can but this time it also dented the can and knocked it rolling.

JagMagMan 11-21-2005 06:05 PM

Thanks for the back up James, I know that "ballistically," it should be impossible for a bullet to move too fast to expand! More velocity, more expansion! But I'm just beginning to think that lung-shot Whitetails are not generally big enough for most7MM bullets!
I like the 7MM RM, and subscribe to the "bigger is better," idea!
But then I don't want the damage of ballistic tips either!

James B 11-21-2005 06:41 PM

In many years of hunting, about 49 now, I have found that good bullets traveling at 2500-2800 fps seem to give me the best and most consistant performance on deer size game. I have been a student of ballistics for many years and have killed deer with everything from the 22 rimfire to the 416 Rem Mag. Just from what I have seen in the field, I stand behind medium sized calibers with middle weight bullets per caliber and velocity above 2500 fps and normally below 2900 fps. Its worked for me without exception for decades now. Nothing has made more instant kills for me than the 308 and 6.5x55 swede. Both medium calibers at moderate speed. I think that bullets perform more CONSISTANTLY at moderate speeds. It takes the stress off the bullet yet has plenty of velocity to expand. Excess velocity can cause bullets to over expand or blow up against bones or even real thick hides.

JagMagMan 11-21-2005 06:57 PM

49 years of hunting!!! Ancient!!!! Old timer!!!!!!:D:D:D
Hey, I just turned 49, and to tell the truth I'm beginning to feel it!
I agree with all you've said! Especially aboutbullet preformance being best in the2500-2800 FPS range!
Super velocity is great for flat shooting, and long range, but if you think about it, when that flat shooting, speedster gets out tothe 300+ yard range,whats it doing? Usually about 2000-2800 FPS!
Thanks again, I'm going to try the Fusions!

James B 11-21-2005 07:07 PM

I was feeling the years this year. The early morning sessions are getting a little tougher every year. I wish the deer would learn to sleep in a bit more.:D.

DoctorDeath 11-21-2005 07:10 PM

James that soulds like a logical deduction ..what is your opinion of the new WSMs ..like the 300wsm ..this is not a triack question I am curious because I have a Browning Abolt in the 300 but h ave yet to hunt with it ..

dd