Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Ethics Question - You make the call >

Ethics Question - You make the call

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ethics Question - You make the call

Old 11-21-2005, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ethics Question - You make the call

You know when you set your stand up in a public hunting area it is just that, a public hunting area. Neither of these guys are obligated to move. Now with that being said you done the right thing by shining your light at him but that does not mean he has to move on. Like i said it's public hunting. What i would have done no matter if i was there1st or the last. I would have just hunted there to about 10:00 - 11:00 am then got down and moved to another location for the rest of the day.
This guy is probably feeling the same way you are.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:50 AM

If his stand is already set where is he going to go? I sure wouldn't want him pulling his stand and trapsing around while I'm trying to hunt. Also if your talking gun season I don't think that would be very safe on public land.

If neither one of you wants to move I guess you will have to live with it.

I thought you were going to say you went out and someone was sitting in your stand already. That is pretty common as well.

Paul
Old 11-21-2005, 08:02 AM

Well I think that's far enough apart. There both on the same team. They may of actually got something if the one didn't cough and clap hands. But I would of backed off or set down on the next ridge in.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:10 AM

I dont know, 150 Feet Apart is decent distance. Hunter A is going to be able to hunt a different area than Hunter B and Vice versa. If I had a spot all scouted out and somebody was nearby, I'd hunt it anyway. I would rather share a spot with somebody than blow the whole morning of hunting. If he got the shot, I wouldnt be upset, he just had the shot, and I didnt. And if the guy started clapping and coughing at me, I would have hunted there out of spite. Its not like they were right next to eachother and it is "public" land.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

They are 150ft away from each other, and both shooting down. Act like partners and best shot win's.It's public land and no one has the right for any special spot!
I have to agree with rebel hog. It's public area, everybody has the same right. But if it was me I would just move to where I think the deers are coming from and cut him off.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

First come first served is the way that it works here....although myself, I would rather stay until a slower part of the day, then move my stuff. I guess that I have always been lucky enough to have private land to hunt on...even though some if it can get awefully busy on opening weekend.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

i just shot a 9 point buck on opening day and there were guys all around me. if b gets in his stand and is quiet i say keep hunting. you don't know that he scared any deer away, but if you keep clapping, coughing and other nonsense you will alert deer to both of you. I've hunt practically on top of people before and sometimes right next to them. if both are still and quiet i don't see how this could affect your hunt in a bad way. be professional. has anyone ever tried to work as a team and call deer in say by imitating to rival buck sparring or a buck doing tending grunts to a doe who's bleating? you have to look at the positives when hunting close to another person. think of all the turkey hunters that hunt in pairs. they see success. i always go the other way when i see a hunter, but I've been set and had hunters come close to me and set up and be quiet. never had a negative effect on my hunt. seen deer, shot deer. sometimes these other hunters also can move deer to wards you or kick deer up just to have them return and hour later to bed down again in the same area (happened this year to me during bow season believe it or not). i don't know i don't want to be a dick and i think public land is a blessing. it is a tough call and everyone is entitled to there opinion on how this matter should be handled.

THE FOOT
Old 11-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very tough call! Thats never happened to me, but thats only one reason that I'll never hunt open land again!
Technically, Hunter A was there first, and B should have the courtesy to back out! But, what if Hunter B had set up long before Hunter A had put up a stand? Again, that a tough question, but I'll still give the nod to Hunter A being there first for that day!
I know that in Texas, on public land you cannot put up permanent stands, so Hunter A would be the winner, and as DD said, Hunter B should be looking in the classifieds for a hunting lease!
Old 11-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks everybody! I was hunter A. As far as the clapping and coughing,I did all that while it was still prior to sunrise and legal shootingtime.Not to irritate the guy but rather to be absolutely sure he knew I was there. Again, still dark out.

After that, we both settled in and hunted. At 10:30 a.m. he climbed down and walkedoff, presumeably for lunch. Heleft his stand up. I took the opportunity totake my climber down and move to a new area.

funny thing is, neither of us saw a deer! I did after I moved though.

As far as the issue goes, I thought he should have moved. I dont like to be that close to another hunter. I usually hunt private but the last time I hunted public, I was hunter B. I arrived only to find someone beat me there. I packed up my stand and moved away as quietly as I could.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:44 PM

I'm having a really hard time keeping from laughing. It really is funny.
I agree with Rebel Hog's answer.

Quick Reply: Ethics Question - You make the call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.