HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Ran into an ethical dilemma today. Did I do the right thing? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/121933-ran-into-ethical-dilemma-today-did-i-do-right-thing.html)

dhunterinla 11-20-2005 09:41 PM

Ran into an ethical dilemma today. Did I do the right thing?

Well, being that this is only my second year deer hunting, I wanted some advice from the members of the forum. On the way home from the stand this evening, I spotted a flash of white on the side of the road. I stopped my truck, backed up, and there was a doe on the side of the road. I got out, dug out my flashlight, and and checked her out. She had been shot in the chest, her eyes were glazed, and she was cold. I sat there a good 15 minutes wondering if I should load her up and take her with me. Howevever, in the end, I decided to leave her there on the chance someone was looking for her. This road is surrounded by woods on both sides, so no telling how far she had run. The bullet hole almost looked like a .22 round, but that's illegal here in Louisiana.

Did I do the right thing, leaving her there?

Paul L Mohr 11-20-2005 09:46 PM

RE: Ran into an ethical dilemma today. Did I do the right thing?

If she was cold and had not been field dressed yet I would bet the meat is bad, you were better off leaving her. Let the coyotes get her.

Paul

Rebel Hog 11-20-2005 10:14 PM

You did the right thing!

DoctorDeath 11-21-2005 05:50 AM

I think I most likely would have loaded her up ...after dark and if I saw no lights that looked like a hunter on a blood trail ... yep I would have loaded her up ...its a shame for a deer to waste ..jmo

dd

Tree climber 11-21-2005 06:07 AM

I would have loader her and took her to the skinning pole.if she was already cooling ; no one was looking for her.
it is a chose that each of us has to deal with.
I would rather take her than let the predators feed on good meat.

if you feel you did the right thing ; then you did OK.thats you chose.

alwyshntn 11-21-2005 06:38 AM

I think you did the right thing....No telling how long she'd been there....

BIGSCRAPE 11-21-2005 07:49 AM

I'd say the right thing was done.

Biggest reason being if the hole looks like a .22, which is illigal to hunt deer with in that area as you stated then potentially you could be charged forthat offencesince you would have had to tag it with your tag. I think it would be hard to explain to the conservation officer that you didn't shoot it you just found it. It may seem as a very unlikely possibility but I certainly wouldn't take that chance.

Now if it had a larger caliber hole through it and was still warm....... That's called freezer time.

Wolf651 11-21-2005 08:44 AM

Give yourself a pad on the back that you didn't take it. I wouldn't take it if it was me. Leave it be, you didn't shoot it and none of your party membersdid so you have no right to it. If you take it, you have to tag it and It wouldn't showgood sportsmanshipto yourself. Unless your one of those scanless hunters that will take anything you see as long as it's meat.

NEB.BuckHunter 11-21-2005 08:57 AM

I would have contacted your local sheriff. Sometimes, they will give people tags where they can legally process deer. Here in Nebraska, if you run into one with your vehicle, when you contact the Sheriff's office, they give you a roadkill permit and you can process the deer.

zekeskar 11-21-2005 11:45 AM

I think I would have probably contacted enforcement too. If it was shot illegally, they might want to know about it. Depending on the laws in your state, they might let you take it. I most likely wouldn't try to salvage the deer othewise just because of legalities.

As for the condition of the meat, I think it could be determined (good or bad) by looking at it and smelling it. In my experience, deer (and moose) meat is more resilient than you might assume. Yes, it is VERY important to take care of meat quickly and properly, but sometimes it can take a day to find and salvage an animal and the meat is still fine.