HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Questionable neck shot "warning, bloody" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/121871-questionable-neck-shot-warning-bloody.html)

davester 11-20-2005 03:32 PM

Questionable neck shot "warning, bloody"

I see there's a lot of questions about neck shots. Here's a couple morepics of my neck shot buck.
My second shot, I think he would of made it a lot longer with this shot alone, not alot of blood.

davester 11-20-2005 03:35 PM

RE: Questionable neck shot "warning, bloody"

But my first shot, dead center of his throat bled pretty good. But he still went a hundred yards without being spooked again.

davester 11-20-2005 03:37 PM

Thanks for looking, just wanted to share!!!

jerseyhunter 11-20-2005 03:41 PM

Nice, but now you have a hole in the cape. On something like that I would opt for the lungs and heart. JMO. Still a nice Buck.

timbercruiser 11-20-2005 05:12 PM

I am not in favor of neck shots unless there is absolutely no chance of any other shot. You were low on both shots, but looks like you hit a major blood vessel.

Firehawk7309 11-20-2005 05:44 PM

I would not usually take a neck shot. I have once or twice in the past, but the situation had to be perfect and nothing else available. Nice deer though.

rybohunter 11-20-2005 06:00 PM

I'm suprised the deer ran at all with those shots? What caliber were you shooting?

davester 11-20-2005 06:05 PM

Win. ballistic silvertip .243 cal., read my hunting post, "I'm FREAKING OUT"!!

zrexpilot 11-20-2005 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: davester

Win. ballistic silvertip .243 cal., read my hunting post, "I'm FREAKING OUT"!!

I shoot a .243 religously andI recomend you quit using balistic tips.
My .22 hornet dropped a 160 lb buck this year with the same shot, straight on to the neck. Didnt get an exit hole but it broke the spine, and this dude had a huge neck. dead before he hit the ground.

Heres a buckI shot a couple of years ago with my .243, using hornady ammo. first pic is the entrance hole, second pic is the 3" exit hole. not very good pics but you can see the holes. This dude was dead before he hit the ground also.

davester 11-20-2005 08:13 PM

Thatswhat I tried to do, I think I'll switch to hornady. Nice buck,cool branch! My buddy shot a buck off a marine base and it had a parachute from a flare stuck in it. It still had the steel cable dangling but no flare. He thought it was a crazy non-typical.