HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   once a spike always a spike? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/121861-once-spike-always-spike.html)

270 win. 11-20-2005 01:03 PM

once a spike always a spike?

I ve always heard this and was wondering if there was any truth behind it.

MDManiac 11-20-2005 01:19 PM

RE: once a spike always a spike?

Depends. If it's 2.5yr old spike, then yes, so shoot it, if its a 1.5yr old no, it should get bigger the following year.

enginegrunt 11-20-2005 01:24 PM

not necessarily true. We watch a spike buck with damaged ear grow to be a decent buck a few years later. It all depends on the year they had, food and genetics.

one on one 11-20-2005 04:02 PM

don't really think its true,they have to start out with something, don't think i'll ever see a deer'sfirst set of horns be an 8pt.with good food and genetics,they'll grow

JagMagMan 11-20-2005 04:09 PM

Once a spike, always a spike, is the biggest myth ever concocted!

PYseeker 11-20-2005 04:50 PM

you have to remember the later in the season a doe concieves the later in the spring the fawns will be born thus leaving them lacking in the antler department for the first season. Some call spikes cull bucks. In my opinion that is a mistake. many studies have shown a spike deer to attain a healthy 8 point rack by its 3 1/2 year mark. I know this for sure a spike will never get bigger if it's killed. Let him go so he can grow, shoot a doe for meat.

rgarza 11-20-2005 07:02 PM

Several truths regarding spikes: Most spikes (90+%) are 1.5 year old deer. Spikes will grow in subsequent years into better racks. On RARE occasions, spikes can grow truly impressive antlers as a mature buck.

However, taken on average, 1.5 year old deer with FORKED antlers grow better B&C scores at maturity than 1.5 year old buck spikes.

Predator19 11-20-2005 08:29 PM

In the latest issue of Deer and Deer Hunting they had a pic of the same buck for 12 years. It was a spike for the first picture and grew into a 170 class buck. Its peak years being between 5 1/2 and 8 1/2.

AJ52 11-20-2005 08:49 PM

I agree - the biggest Myth in deer history is Shoot a Spike to clean up the gene pool.Rare exceptions to prove any different.

zrexpilot 11-20-2005 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: rgarza

Several truths regarding spikes: Most spikes (90+%) are 1.5 year old deer. Spikes will grow in subsequent years into better racks. On RARE occasions, spikes can grow truly impressive antlers as a mature buck.

However, taken on average, 1.5 year old deer with FORKED antlers grow better B&C scores at maturity than 1.5 year old buck spikes.
Exactly !
this is why on big spreads that are managed, spikes are shot. not the best genes.
I have seen a 1 1/2 yr old 8 pointer