Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

once a spike always a spike?

Old 11-24-2005, 01:51 PM

Default RE: once a spike always a spike?

I cant speak for all regions, compelling evidence and rare exceptions, but I will tell you this. I know for sure that a spike, standing there all by itself, does NOT offer you enough evidence or argument either way. You have to also know its age. Anyone with SOUND deer management skills knows that theres different types of spikes, age as well as health. In captivity we routinely see spikes go on to become exceptional bucks. Why? Simple. They started from genetically desirable strains, and we knew their age. Thats hard to do in the wild, though.

In the wild, if I see ANY yearling, I wouldnt shoot, IF the ground you hunt can support the numbers. If you are at capacity already, yes, shoot all small inferior bucks if you want, to help the larger ones feed better. If your herd numbers are ok, allow ALL young bucks another year to grow. Theres gotta be some "wait and see" in the wild, assuming we dont truly know their age and background. Most guys however, dont have such a strict program in place, without exceptions though.