Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

button buck crisis

Old 11-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: button buck crisis

I wonder why people worry so much about shooting button bucks?
My guess would be they want a better buck to doe ratio. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:26 PM

alright, my situation goes as follows...
hunting a farm where there are too many does so when 4 antlerless deer came in close to dusk i would have been a fool to let them all go unscathed so i picked one that wasnt really behind any brush and shot...i figured by now a buttonhead would be kicked out from its mother but i guess not
Old 11-20-2005, 07:26 PM

Great post UPHunter89! I use all those guidelines and have yet to shoot a button buck in 20+ years of hunting. What's more, we haven't had anyone shoot a button buck on our property that I can remember. If you're not sure, don't pull the trigger.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:58 PM

If you have too many does and you want to kill some of them off shooting a button is bound to happen. I dont care what anyone says, if you shoot does on your farm someone will eventually kill a button buck, it is just a part of it that is going to happen no, big deal. Now if it happens on a regular basis by the same guy then it is a problem.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

timber and up have the best take on the subject.

If you pay attention/take some time to examine what appears 1st on the scene,along with length of snout,dome shape head (doe) or flat shape with brownish nubs(button)you got it figured out! everybody will make a mistake and whack a button once in great while but at least you got the big picture when it comes to I.D. vs Blasting away at anything Brown.

Its really pretty easy once you take a few seconds to examine your game vs pulling the trigger on "4 legs its brown its down" mentality.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:57 PM
Fork Horn

s*** happens...I once had two anterless come into a field and I shot the bigger one not relizing they were both yearlings, wound up with a button, but it still had more horn than anything else taken off our farm