Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question about mounts

Old 11-19-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Question about mounts

Ok, I have a few questions about mounts. I know these have been posted before but had no luck doing a search, so please bare w/ me.

As far as skinning the deer for shoulder mount. What do I do when I get to the front legs?

I have to put my buck in the freezer until monday. I hear that I am supposed to wrap the head in a towel completely so none of the hide is visible. Then you put it in a trash bag and tie it off. Is this correct, any other pointers. Would a fridge be better?

I would also appreciate if some of you guys would post pics of your mounts. I would like to see the wall pedestal mount and some others. I know this has been posted before but I could not find it. I dont want to 'settle' with a pose. I want to explore all options before determining a pose.

Thanks, Duc
Old 11-19-2005, 10:03 PM

Default RE: Question about mounts

Once you've taken the trophy buck down there are several things you must do before the mounted head will end up as one you'll be proud of. When removing the deer's cape, you must not cut the throat or make any incisions in the neck skin whatsoever. If you do so, it will cause the taxidermist many problems in preparing the mount.

It's extremely necessary to leave much more neck skin intact that you might think. Most poorly mounted trophy heads result because the taxidermist doesn't have enough neck skin or cape to work with. You should start by making a cut on top of the buck's head just behind the ears. Cut towards the rear along the top of the neck to a point behind the front shoulders.

Then you should make 2 vertical cuts, one down each side of the body to the point where they meet. This point where the cuts meet should be behind the brisket, or just ahead of the forelegs. When you finish these cuts you'll see how the excessive skin is needed in order to make a good mount.

What you want to achieve is to get the head and cape removed from the rest of the deer carcass. You should start peeling the skin at the point where the horizontal and vertical cuts meet, just behind the front shoulders. Using a skinning knife, peel the flaps of skin away from the body toward the head. Contine until skin is removed from the base of the skull.

At this point, you can cut the head free from the carcass by cutting straight through the neck. You need to get your buck's head to a taxidermist within a very few days so that it doesn't spoil. You may want to freeze the head if you find it difficult to get it to a taxidermist in a timely manner. When you freeze the head, make sure that you put the head in a cardboard box and seal the box, and then take it to a meat-packing plant if possible. Good luck and safe hunting!
Old 11-19-2005, 10:05 PM

ORIGINAL: UPHunter89

Once you've taken the trophy buck down there are several things you must do before the mounted head will end up as one you'll be proud of. When removing the deer's cape, you must not cut the throat or make any incisions in the neck skin whatsoever. If you do so, it will cause the taxidermist many problems in preparing the mount.

It's extremely necessary to leave much more neck skin intact that you might think. Most poorly mounted trophy heads result because the taxidermist doesn't have enough neck skin or cape to work with. You should start by making a cut on top of the buck's head just behind the ears. Cut towards the rear along the top of the neck to a point behind the front shoulders.

Then you should make 2 vertical cuts, one down each side of the body to the point where they meet. This point where the cuts meet should be behind the brisket, or just ahead of the forelegs. When you finish these cuts you'll see how the excessive skin is needed in order to make a good mount.

What you want to achieve is to get the head and cape removed from the rest of the deer carcass. You should start peeling the skin at the point where the horizontal and vertical cuts meet, just behind the front shoulders. Using a skinning knife, peel the flaps of skin away from the body toward the head. Contine until skin is removed from the base of the skull.

At this point, you can cut the head free from the carcass by cutting straight through the neck. You need to get your buck's head to a taxidermist within a very few days so that it doesn't spoil. You may want to freeze the head if you find it difficult to get it to a taxidermist in a timely manner. When you freeze the head, make sure that you put the head in a cardboard box and seal the box, and then take it to a meat-packing plant if possible. Good luck and safe hunting!
I found this here: http://www.gamecalls.net/huntingtips/fieldcareandmountingdeer.html

And here is an excellent site with pictures included:
http://www.foresttaxidermy.com/quality_mount.htm
Old 11-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ducsauce,
Here is the 10 point I shot 3 years ago. It is the only deer I have ever mounted. I never really gave a head mount too much thought until I shot this deer. I really didn't know exactly how to skin the deer for the taxidermist, so I took the head with the whole skin. He got it the dayI shot it. I knew not to cut anywhere around the neck and shoulders. Be carefull, because it is real easy to cut through while skinning. I cut up the back of the front legs.

The taxidermist called this pose, "sneaking left". It is a shoulder mount. One thing to keep in mind is where in the room you are going to put it. I mounted this one so that it is looking at me while I am sitting in the recliner across the room.

The huntingnet board is on the computer under the deer.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c93/CDavis460/The10.jpg

C. Davis
Old 11-20-2005, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Duc I would be happy to post some of my mounts but when I do I get accused of trying to promote my Canadian buck BUT if you would like to see my mounts you can visit my web site at www.thereevesbuck.com ...I have a few pictures there ....and congrats again on finding that fine buck !

dd
Old 11-20-2005, 10:44 AM

If its not too late, Id recommend not splitting the cape down the back of he neck, Most taxidermists prefer to mount the capes by pulling them over the form like a sock, much less sewing for them, and less chance of you seeing the nasty looking seam running up the back of the neck. When I cape mine out for the taxidermist, I hang it by the rear legs, and skin it down to the front shoulders, then start working the front shoulders out of the hide without cutting it at all, once the shoulders are almost out, you can remove them and just cut the bone above the knee, and leave the legs on the cape, then just roll the hide on down toward the head, and cut the neck off a few inches below the head of the deer. Then you have the entire hide and cape with NO cuts and the taxidermist has all the hide he needs and can cut it and skin the head however he wants to fit the needs of his work. The extra will be welcomed by the taxidermist, especially if your thinking of having a pedestal mount done, he will need extra length for that style of mount. Here is one of my favorite mounts, it is a full sneak left turn form, and he added a mouthpeice with teeth and tongue, and curled the lips to make it a buck doing a lip curl smelling a hot doe. Hope this helps you out some.

Old 11-20-2005, 02:00 PM

Thanks for all the info and pics guys. I am still uncertain on how I want it mounted b/c there are so many choices.

We ended up doing it the way that Angus mentioned. I didnt get to check this site until after we had caped it[8D]. I had to work this morning and it was getting warm.No cuts at all and I am confident the taxidermist will be pleased with it.

The hard part is deciding on a pose.[:@]
Old 11-20-2005, 04:07 PM

Its really easy guys...when in doubt, dont cut! Saw the legs off long, pull the skin over the resulting "stub" the same way you roll the skin down the body and neck. Its called tubing. Some of the newer style forms for mounts use more foreleg then youd think.

As for freezing, if its just going to be a couple days, keep it cool with a bag of ice, or fridge. I dont like taking in frozen deer heads at my studio, I cant see what condition theyre in until they thaw. My advice to you would be to choose a taxidermist, and then ask HIM what HE would suggest.

Lastly, when you visit him, he can show you examples of all those poses available, or go to McKenzie Sports Products online and youll see pics. Hope this all helps.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Angus, if you are not familiar with caping a head, leave all the skin on you possibly can. The taxidermist will need to measure the neck to get the correct size form and the easiest way is if some of the neck and meat are included.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:20 PM

Here are a few different mounts that I like

Quick Reply: Question about mounts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.