Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 ANOTHER cull Buck DOWN in Tennessee >

ANOTHER cull Buck DOWN in Tennessee

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ANOTHER cull Buck DOWN in Tennessee

Old 11-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ANOTHER cull Buck DOWN in Tennessee

DD I'm no expert but a cull can not be called a cull untill he reaches his potential. 4 1/2 years old.
young buck are on the lower end of the pecking order when it comes to feeding, so the first 2 years are the hardest and antler growth suffers.
By what your telling me I would be shooting all the does, all of them, for 3 years and then start shooting mature basket rack deer. while keeping the does in check. getting rid of the does gives more nutrition to the younger bucks hence better racks. try and get your neigbors into a feeding program of protein yr round.
A mature basket rack can be a pretty nice deer, I wish I could post pics of the 11 pointer I killed this year, now he's a cull and a trophy all in one, small rack but heavy horned, almost having palmation. I think he was at least 5 1/2 yrs old.
Just my $.02
Old 11-20-2005, 08:40 PM

I'm no expert either, I haven't even researched QDM at all. But the guys hunting the property next to me killed 40 doe last year. I shot three this year, and there's plenty more, and they don't shoot any bucks until there at leasteight points. But I did find a deer skull that had three points(long spike and a fork) this may be genetic.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

DD, 180 acres! That is going to be tough to QDM! But every little bit helps, right? As for the cull bucks I was simply implying that a small basket rack (even a spike or forky) at 1.5 yrs could very well end up being a Huge buck when he matures. When he was born the spring before, and his availability to high protein foods in his first year could cause him to have a dink rack, but as he matures and his body doesn't need to spend so much nutrition on adding size, more of that nutrition can go to his rack, and by 3.5 or so you would be able to get a much better idea of what kind of genetics he has.

JMHO, good luck! And congrats on 2 bucks in one day!
Old 11-21-2005, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bion I appreciate your interest ... it would be nice if this was MY farm but its not ...and it would be nice if it was about 500 acres ..but its not ... we are just trying to appease the land owner ...he had asked us to shoot anything with four legs including the yearlings but we have not done that ... the last few years he and his wife have lost thier garden to deer ...so he has decided he wants them thined out ....and being I am "DoctorDeath" I am complying .... ;&gt)'

dd
Old 11-21-2005, 05:53 AM

as Doc. said; if you have never hunted the south ,with 150 acers here and 100 acers there and everyone shoots the deer to keep them outta there crops and gardens ; you just can't understand.
it is hard to QDM a small plot. you say get the neighboring land owners to help feed and QDM. well they feed year round,(with the crops,fruit and veggies). thats why they want you to shoot them all.

there is no way to manage the deer on property you don't own and the nesxt person shoot BROWN DOWN.I understand what you all are trying to tell DD, in your area you may be able to do that.
In the south where I hunt you just can't do it.

as I was told about the 4 pt. I took with the B/P a couple weeks ago.that deer was only about 3 to 400 yards from the line where they will not even talk to you about not shooting the bucks and taking does. they just want agree.
So you see what we are talking about.if we did the QDM thing and not shoot the bucks we see; then we would "NEVER" get to take a buck.because there would be no big bucks.
it's just hard to understand unless you here and see what we are talking about.
I truely would like to do it and see them big old bucks that you folks have in the north.a big place to hunt in Fl. is 500 acers and that is 2 or 3 different farms.

when I win the lottery ; thats the first thing I'm gonna do, is buy the properties that I like to hunt. then I can have a BIG chunk of land to manage. untill then we just have to hunt the way we can and hope you all will understand why we do what we do.

way to go DD, hope you have a good season later on as good as you have so far.
TC
Old 11-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trust me guys, I hunt all public land in Southern NJ and know all about the "if its brown its down " attitude!