Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 ANOTHER cull Buck DOWN in Tennessee >

ANOTHER cull Buck DOWN in Tennessee

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ANOTHER cull Buck DOWN in Tennessee

Old 11-19-2005, 10:57 PM

Default RE: ANOTHER cull Buck DOWN in Tennessee

Great work doc 2 bucks in 1 day thats got to be nice.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:42 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats!! Nice buck and pics. Is this area anywhere close to where your big boy was harvested? Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DOUBLE-LUNG

Congrats!! Nice buck and pics. Is this area anywhere close to where your big boy was harvested? Thanks for sharing.
DL ...My ole Big Boy came from wayyyyy above the Mason-Dixon line LOL ..Alberta Canada ...these deer are from Linclon Co Tennessee just above the Alabama Tenn state line. We have a lot of deer in this area BUT the genetics are bad because of the buck to doe ratio being so far out of kilterand all the enter breading... we are trying to thin out some doe's and these dinky basket rack bucks ... actually it was my intention to shoot a doe yesterday but as it turned out I took both these cull bucks ... they are very healthy which is good to see but their racks are just pitiful ...but I am meat hunting right now anyway so it all worked out ...I am hunting with a rifle I bought about a month ago ..its an old Belgium made Browning 270 bolt action and manits sweetttttttt .... two shots two kills ...Doctor Death is BACK !

dd
Old 11-20-2005, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on another deer.
but again, looks like a young deer to me, not a cull.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

congrats on another deer.
but again, looks like a young deer to me, not a cull.
ZR your right this was a fairly young buck ..about a year and a half old but as I stated earlier if you hunted this area you would understand what we are trying to accomplish by taking out the basket rack bucks ..

dd
Old 11-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats DD! You've had a good weekend! Not much moving in my area this weekend!
Let me know if you need me to come "cull" acouple of 'em for you!
Old 11-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jag my friend ..your welcome to hunt with ME ANYTIME ...I NEED someone to help drag ;&gt)

dd
Old 11-20-2005, 05:30 PM

I'll come hunt with ya too, heck, I aint but about an hour and a half from you.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats DD, but I agree with ZRexpilot, I don't understand culling a deer at 1.5 yrs old since you don't have any idea what his potential is yet? Unless you are just trying to knock the population of bucks down on your property. If you are going for a sort of QDM, you should be letting all teh 1.5 yr old bucks go and shotting them at 2 or 3 when you can see what kind of rack they are going to have...JMO
Old 11-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bionicrooster

Congrats DD, but I agree with ZRexpilot, I don't understand culling a deer at 1.5 yrs old since you don't have any idea what his potential is yet? Unless you are just trying to knock the population of bucks down on your property. If you are going for a sort of QDM, you should be letting all teh 1.5 yr old bucks go and shotting them at 2 or 3 when you can see what kind of rack they are going to have...JMO
Bion thank you for your opinion .. I would appreciate it if you would share with me how you would QDM 185 acres ...this farm is a lot longer then it is wide ...we have 5 different land owners that border this property and all but one hunt ... again if you saw the bucks in this paticular area you would understand ...this is a county that DNR says has 30 deer per square mile ... most likely 5 to 1 doe to buck ratio ...we have hunted this farm for 4 years this being the 5th and the largest buck ever taken off of it was about a 120 8 point ... so last year we along with the land owner decided we needed to thin out the doe's and these basket racked bucks ... not that its going to make a lot of difference on 180 acres ... but weare trying ... but if you have any ideas as to how to QDM a small farm like this please share it with me ... I think a lot of hunters have a misconception about hunting down south ...most parcel of land hereare made up for the most of very small farms ...100 to 200 acres I would say ... makes it very hard to QDM pieces of property that small without the help of surronding landowners ...which if you have ever hunted Tennessee or Alabama you would know THAT is almost IMPOSSIBLE to do ... most hunters here figure if you don't shoot it the guy on the next field line will ... I have taken several nice bucks in other areas of the country and do not shoot small bucks just to be shooting them ...

dd

Quick Reply: ANOTHER cull Buck DOWN in Tennessee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.