Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old-Time Scent Reduction???

Old 11-18-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Old-Time Scent Reduction???

QUESTION!!!! Ok, so in a last minute effort to reduce scent in my hunting apparel (hoods, facemasks, hats, socks, camo, gloves, underwear as in silk lining, etc.) I put baking soda on all of my hunting clothes and nicely packed them in a storage container that we'll be taking hunting with us in a few days Basically I tapped some powder on all sides, folded it, and packed it in tight....sooooooo, my question is, how effective will it be???? Does anyone else use regular old baking soda to eliminate some scent? Does it work for you? If so, what method do you use in application? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Old-Time Scent Reduction???

i put backing soda on my gloves on time in the early part of bow season. it was hot and my hands always sweat no matter what. at the end of the hunt i took my gloves off and all my skin was pealing off. it wasn't painful at all but it was really weird. must have used to much. i suggest u shake your clothes out before u put them on so you don't look like a burn victim after the huntgood luck this season.

THE FOOT
Old 11-18-2005, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the tip, I didn't put it inside anything that will have immediate skin contact. And I'll be sure to shake it off lol.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:38 PM

I use to wash my hunting clothes in baking soda, but it fades your hunting clothes out real fast. Now,I buy the scent free detergents and the color lasts a lot longer and it takes care of the human scent.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Baking soda works well , although it can leave a white residue .

I put in in the washerduring therinse cycle only, that way it's applied after most of the odors in the garments have already been reduced by the scent free detergent . Most of the soda will get spun out leaving a small amount distributed uniformly throughout the garment which affords the best level of protection. Dusting yourself with baking soda before getting into the clothing will further reduce odor by stifling the growth of bacteria on the skin's surface . Do a patch test with the soda before using it wholesale to avoid adverse reactions . Between that and keeping the wind in your face you should have no scent issues other than breath and exposed skin.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the tips Kevin. I appreciate it. It will have been stored for 5 days in the container with baking soda in it before I take them out and head on out to the field.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: UPHunter89

Thanks for the tips Kevin. I appreciate it. It will have been stored for 5 days in the container with baking soda in it before I take them out and head on out to the field.
More than sufficient to absorb just about any odorshort ofskunk spray . Good luck on your hunt
Old 11-19-2005, 02:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Roll them up in some pieces of Lighter Pine over night or for a couple of days!
Old 11-19-2005, 09:00 PM

So after doing more research, it seems as if most wash their clothes in the baking soda then pack them but from experience and from other' experience, it fades the clothes and leaves a residue....and I dont want that...so, does anyone else just sprinkle some baking powder on their hunting clothes.