Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Tomorrow is opening day (shotgun) for deer in NY >

Tomorrow is opening day (shotgun) for deer in NY

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tomorrow is opening day (shotgun) for deer in NY

Old 11-18-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Tomorrow is opening day (shotgun) for deer in NY

Where I'm hunting there is deer sign everywhere.I hunted there twice this year with a bow.I've seen deer walking a ridge but there's a homemade deer stand close to that area.
I have not hunted this area in years on opening day but I'm forced to this year because where I have been hunting it is now posted.
I am also unsure of how many hunters there will be in the area because it's public land.
There are alot of pine trees in certain areas and also quite a bit of hardwoods.
I can sit in the hardwoods,where the shots can be up to 100 yards or sit close to the pine trees,where the shots average around 25 to 40 yards.That is also where I saw the most buck rubs.
I'm using a 12 gauge shotgun.
I would like to give you more information about the piece of land but I have not hunted it much in the last 15 years.
Would you pick a stand close to the pines and rubs or get into the hardwoods where I can see farther?Thanks for your advice

Old 11-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tomorrow is opening day (shotgun) for deer in NY

IF IT LIKE THE PUBLIC LAND I HUNT (quite a bit of pressure on the weekends) i would stick to thickets, depressions or dried up streams. anything that can offer deer a safe way to go from point a to b. now if it's not heavily hunted and the deer feel comfortable so to speak i would probably hunt were u see signs. big woods are nice if u got oaks or other food sources around. hard to say. doesn't sound like u scouted it out allot. ya i probably would hunt were u see signs. good luck.

THE FOOT