Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Canada Hunting Update

Old 11-18-2005, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Canada Hunting Update

This is just an update for ALL you Canada hunting fools like me. I did not get to hunt Canada this year (low on dig) but I have stayed in touch with my outfitter ...I talked with himyesterday and he gave me an update I thought I would share with my buddy's on here .. Don only hunts 6 rifle hunters a year in area 508 in Alberta. He had all his hunters there this week but the weather and the moon has not cooperated. The temps where like a yoe yoe ..started out on the 20s wich is kind of warm for Canada and warmed up as the week progressed ...very little snow. Don said one of his hunters took a very nice 8pt that will score around 150 on the first day and the others have see a few bucks but as of Wednesday night none had harvested anything. I can tell you from past experience that after setting in "The Box" for 4 days 11hrs a day the preasure starts to build knowing your hunt is coming to and end soon. I will update you guys in the next day or so ..their hunt will end this Saturday.

dd
Old 11-18-2005, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Canada Hunting Update

This months Bowhunter Magazine has a story about hunting Alberta,huge bucks.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

The weather in Alberta certainly has been fickle this week.It started out in the 20s with snow and game movement wasn't too bad.However this morning the snow is gone and the temperature is in the 40s so things should be very slow.Last week rut activity was very good andfriends took a buck that netted just over 170 and another in the high150s.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

The weather in Alberta certainly has been fickle this week.It started out in the 20s with snow and game movement wasn't too bad.However this morning the snow is gone and the temperature is in the 40s so things should be very slow.Last week rut activity was very good andfriends took a buck that netted just over 170 and another in the high150s.
WOW SJ I would give my left gonadd to be up there this year ... I know in the past that most hunters prefer the 3 rd week but seems to me the last 5 or so years the weather has been to mild and maybe the 4th week is the way to go because of it bing a little colder... however it seems that a lot of nice bucks are coming out of the second week ... go figure?

dd
Old 11-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

My favorite week to hunt whitetails in Alberta and Saskatchewanis always the last week of November.As for this year,I am not hunting deer at all since I am recovering from eye surgery.I was only able to get in one week of hunting brfore my surgeryso my elk tag was the only one filled.Next year,I will be spending my usual month or more hunting.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I hate to hear about your eye my friend ...I hope you heal quickly and get back to the woods soon ... how did your Elk hunt go?

dd
Old 11-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know a lot of you guys do not get Big Buck Magazine but I wanted to share this picture with you ...this MONSTER buck was taken in Alberta a couple of years back ...this is a CHOKER !!

dd

Old 11-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

My elk hunt was once again plagued by hot windy weather so elk ruttingactivity was quite slow.I did however succeed in getting a 5x5 to respond on the fourthmorning and I was able to fill my tag.I called out a decent bull moose and one of my partners was able to take his first moose at 40 yards.He was quite excited when it came in grunting.All of my partners each killed an antlerless mule but I din't bother even though the deer were plentiful.We saw about150 mule deer,20 whitetails,15 moose and 4 elk in one week,so other than the elk being scarce it wasn't really a bad trip..