Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Trouble with my Savage 30-06!!! >

Trouble with my Savage 30-06!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trouble with my Savage 30-06!!!

Old 11-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Trouble with my Savage 30-06!!!

Im having a hard time getting my bolt back after I fire a round. I have to wiggle it real hard. Anyone ever had any problems like this? It may be time to replace it but the gun is only about 3 years old. Never had any problems out of it, but ehen I shot it this weekend it didn't want to act right. Anybody know any tricks?
Old 11-17-2005, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Trouble with my Savage 30-06!!!

I would call Savage or carry the rifle to a gunsmith. That should not be happening. 3 years old should be just like new.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:57 AM

Definitely get it to a gunsmith. My 30-06 is 88 years old (not a typo) and still working smoothly.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:30 AM

The first thing I would do is clean the gun very well. Strip it down and clean and lubricate everything.

Do you handload? If you do you could be building up too much pressure. This is something that can cause a sticky action.

If you are using factory ammunition this is probably not the case, but you have to consider it.

Look at when the problem started. If it is recently, is there anything that you have done differently to cause the problem? Have you started storing the gun differently? Have you used a different cleaner on the gun? Have you switched brands of ammo? Think of whatever you can.

The next thing you should do is take a look at the action and see if there is any part where the metal is worn. This will typically be your problem area. It will be worn from metal on metal contact, and may need to be shaped up a little bit to make the gun operate reliably.

Chances are though that the wood around your bolt handle has swelled for some reason and this is causing the bolt handle to stick and require some shaking to get it to break loose to operate the bolt. I would check this out just to be sure.

I can't think of anything else, but if you can not find the culprit through these measures then I would suggest taking the rifle to a reliable gunsmith to have him give it the once over. Remember though, firing a rifle that is not functioning properly is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:13 AM

I have a Savage 110 30-06 that is about 10 years old. Is the screw in the end of the bolt loose? I tightened mine last year and I have never had a problem with it. If it's not that, then you need to see a gunsmith.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:09 PM

I've got a Savage 110 30-06 too. What kind of ammo are you using? Because I have the exact same problem when I use Silver Bear (cheapo) ammo. I really have to muscle the bolt closed or open. The typical Federal, Winchester, etc., work just fine.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: TomFromTheShade

The first thing I would do is clean the gun very well. Strip it down and clean and lubricate everything.

i second that. last time i took my savage .270 out, i got it all wet. i took it our later that day, and the bolt was starting to freeze up. i would definitely reccommend lubing it, and if that doesnt work, definitely get it to a gunsmith.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

i had a problem with my dad's savage .300 like that. I missed a buck and when i tried to rack another shell in the lever jammed, so when i tried it again it was trying to push two shells in at once. Later i tried it again and it got stuck jsut the same. I put some gun oil on it and it worked better, but somehting isnt right with it, somehting is out of alignment.

I have a savage 30-06 now, but i have only had it for less than 2 years. Hope i dont have any problems with it in the future.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of ammo are you shooting? If it's steel cased that may be your problem there. The steel cases expand but don't retract fully like a brass case will.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:52 PM

um yeah buy a remington thats all i can say i only have remington model 700 and better no problem with any of my guns.

Quick Reply: Trouble with my Savage 30-06!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.