Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 treestand: how high is enough? >

treestand: how high is enough?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

treestand: how high is enough?

Old 11-16-2005, 09:06 PM

Default treestand: how high is enough?

Guys,
This Friday is the begining of my first ML deer hunting season. I just bought a Non-typical Ameristep climbing treestand and wonder how highi should climb up assuming that the tree is tall enough for me to climb ashigh as I want to and I have no problem with height. Iclimbed 30 ft today but notquite sure it was high enough. Pleasegive meyour advice. Thanks a lot.
By the way, it took my a good 30 minutes to set up and climb up. Is that too slow?
khuengo
Old 11-16-2005, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: treestand: how high is enough?

30 ft is a bit high for me...i normally sit around the 16-20 ft... but i guess it would depend on hunting location...if your sitting on teh edge of a large field i would sit higher then when i'm in heavy woods, just so i can create a better and more shot oppertunity for myself...

it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get up that tree, if it takes you 30 min..then it will take you 30 min...just never rush into a tree, you forget stuff and get hurt that way...aslong as you don't spook any deer i don't see problem with it taking that long, you will however get a bit quicker with it with more practice.... climb as quick as you feel safe and stay safe.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like to get as high as I can and still be able to have the best field of view. Sometimes it isn't but 15 feet, sometimes it is 30 to 50 feet.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:30 AM

I usually sit about 12' off the ground, and don't have a problem getting busted by deer. If I climbed any higher I would not be able to see into the brush as well. Always take the view into consideration.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:58 AM

Once you get the hang of the climber it won't take that long. I bought one a little while ago and now I can get up and down a tree in no time at all.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:37 AM

Default RE: tree stand: how high is enough?

When I'm bowhunting I go at least 25 feet to the platform on my stand so it will keep my scent up higher so the deer will come in close enough for a good shot.But when I hunt with my rifle or shotgun I will go just high enough so I can get a clear view for a longer distance shot. Probably 15 to 25 feet.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: tree stand: how high is enough?

I like to go20 feet with my Summit Viper X4. My haul rope is 20' and is a perfect measuring device. Other times, once everything is up, I might shimmy up (carefully) another foot or so, depending on the tree, branches, and view.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

30-35ft! At this height, you can set off an Orange Smoke Bomb and the smoke never comes down more than15-20ft above ground level. You can also see how the wind directions change in just seconds!
Old 11-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: tree-stand: how high is enough?

funny question, to me it seems the later the season gets the higher i go.i can see more, get away with more movement. 30' is up there but if the deer are spotting u either change up your camo, wash it again to get out the smell and U V brighteners, or go higher. but then again i took a doe last year on the ground-no blind. so its up to u really. see whats comfortable and works for u. good luck this season.

THE FOOT
Old 11-17-2005, 03:59 PM

Unlike Some Of my counterparts who like to feel the airplanes buzz over their head, I have always had good sucess with my treestand in the 10-15 foot range.

Quick Reply: treestand: how high is enough?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.