Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

yes im a sissy

Old 11-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default yes im a sissy

i know im a man and should not be wimpin out on real manly rounds by going to those reduced recoil rounds. but has anyone used them before and if so what is your take. how is the effective range on them. i got a ithaca, rifled, featherlite deerslayer ( i think thats correct) and it kicks the hell out of me and climbs like a fireman on crack( just a joke, nothin against fireman) but seriously give me your feed back on what u think about these rounds. good luck to all this year

THE FOOT
Old 11-15-2005, 09:13 PM

Default RE: yes im a sissy

My wife uses 12 ga lightfield lites in her slug gun. And they perform very well out to 125 yards. I tried thm in my gun and they didn't group very well. Probably because I have a 3" chamber and these are 2 3/4". The "jump" to the rifleing is throwing off the accuracy. At least that is what I was told by lightfield. And I have a problem with my slug gun as well. I am a fairly big guy, and my mossberg 695 kicks the snot out of me. I think I am going to get a Remmy 11-87 deer gun next year. My wifes 1100 deer gun shoot slike a dream. But alas, they no longer produce it. Good luck
Old 11-15-2005, 09:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't know about the reduced loads, but last year I put a Limb Saver recoil pad on my old .270 and it tamed it down a lot.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:40 PM

Longrifle,

"I think I am going to get a Remmy 11-87"

I have had an 11-87 for 8-9 years now. It is a heck of a gun, I really like it. Easy to switch the barrels, and to put a rifled barrel for slugs. Good and accurate up to 80+ yards for me with a slug.

Vashadowhunter.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't know about the reduced loads either, but as TC said, there are good recoil tamers on the market today!
As for being shy of recoil, its not a sin! Different people handle it differently! While you do need enough gun to do the job, if you can't pull the trigger without closing your eyes, or flinching, all the power in the worldwon't do you much good!
Old 11-16-2005, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those "featherlite" guns do come with a price don't they? The best recoil pad in the world isn't gonna stop it from barking like a dog and trying to jump out of your hands when you shoot it. Trade the featherlite in for a few extra pounds of carrying weight and you'll be shocked at the difference.
Personally , I wouldn't spend the $$$ on a rifled shotgun to turn around and use the girly rounds.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:47 AM

My 12-year old is shooting my 30-06 this year using the reduced recoil ammo from Remington. We went out to the range and he shot a whole box of it without any problems, and he is only 85-90 pounds. I shot a couple, and there is a big difference in recoil.

For my rifle, the rounds were hitting about 2.5 inches lower than my standard roundsat 100 yards, which puts him dead-on the bullseye at 100 yards.

According to Remington's ballistics, the reduced recoil rounds will hit about 5 inches low at 200 yards when zeroed at 100. They still carry over 1100 ft/lbs of enery at 200 yards.

For where we will be hunting, 100 yards will be the absolute farthest he will be able to shoot, so we're good to go.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:21 AM

My brother-in-law uses the .270 reduced recoil loads and they work fine. He got a large doe on opening day at about 70 yards. His dad said that it really does reduce the kick.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:51 AM

A couple of months ago, I went target shooting with my .30-06; after two boxes of full-power loads my shoulder was pretty sore. I then shot a box of the Remington Managed Recoil, and it was no problem at all. I felt less recoil than with a 30-30 Marlin.

Point-of-impact was a couple of inches lower than with the full-power loads.

I was pretty impressed. I'll be taking the Managed Recoil ammunition on any deer hunts I do this season.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

I never notice the recoil when I'm hunting to much adrenalin. Now shooting off the bench laying over the gun, yes. In my slug gun there is no need to use anything but a 2 3/4 winchester gold 385grain sabot when hunting. A good recoil pad bolt on or slip over can help. I use a slip on when on the bench.

Quick Reply: yes im a sissy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.