Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Baiting

Old 11-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Baiting

There are various methods of "baiting" with corn.Couple have been mentioned here.

I/we bait on our lease to an extent, but would much rather plant food plot to accomplish the same end result. Not everybody has the land or ability to plant "food plots".We are planning(hopefuly)to put in a small acre+- food plot on our deer lease next year soley to draw deer,turkey,rabbits into a specific area of farm - to later harvest/kill.

Hello-Anybody Home-this IS the main reason large well managed/organized clubs,ranches,leases etc.. plant,manage food plots and later harvest the game animal.The plus in a food plot is it does offer extended seasonal feeding and increased nutrients.

Some of the folks here sittin on the "High Horse" think about what is used or planted to hunt doves,ducks,bears,geese and host of other critters out there.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:10 AM

if its legal where you hunt then there should be no problem with anoyn doing it..if its illegal where your at then dont do it.but dont bash those who do it legally
Old 11-16-2005, 12:32 PM

My personal opinion is that I prefer to harvest my game animals in the quickest, most efficient way possible. If I spend 1 day rather than a week getting my meat, I'm happy. I have plenty of other things to do and see hunting as simply an enjoyable way of getting meat that isn't available commercially. So I'm not as worthy a hunter as those of you who would rather do it the hard way and spend a week for no other reason than "I'm doing it the righteous way". Big deal, I couldn't care less about your opinion either.

So I hunt in areas I think will produce animals quickly, huntwith thelegal techniques I think will work best and most efficiently. Use the weapons that will kill quickest, most efficient and humanely,and kill for meat, not style points or antlers.
Zekeskar, I'm all for harvesting game quickly too. I'm sure all of us have plenty of other things to do...some of us prefer to spend time in the woods observing wildlife, scouting, hunting, etc. I understand you don't care what anybody's opinion is, but by posting YOUR opinion, you invite others to post theirs, whether it jives with yours or not. I was just personally frustrated by the hunters in my area, as they use methods that I don't care for, legal though they may be...and I think alot of people in this thread feel the same way about baiting. But everybody can have an opinion. I also agree with NYBowhunter when he referred to that style of hunting (referring to baiting I believe) takes away from the experience. I think that applies to what I was talking about as well.

I know this ought to invite some comments, but I'm going to say it anyway. You want "speed hunting"...stay home & play Big Game Hunter on your computer in the comfort of your home. God forbid what is supposed to be an enjoyable pasttime take up too much of your time that could be better spent doing whatever else is going on in your life. Let me ask you this: Why hunt if you don't want to spend any time doing it? What made you get into hunting in the 1st place? I know for me, it's a luxury to be able to spend a few days doing nothing but hunting, and I enjoy it!

Ok. wow. that really sounds like I'm on a soapbox, and that's not my intention...just trying to voice my opinion.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Corn really isn't that good as far as nutrients ie: protrein and minerals is it?

Baiting makes it easier to kill deer, the problem with baiting is if your neighbor is doing it you have to. I'm glad I live where it's illegal.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Anyway whats so bad about feeding dozens of deer and helping them prepare for winter?? And when you do decide to take one you have a nice shot at it to make a clean kill. No suffering and no wasted meat.
This mentality is my problem with baiting.

Let me first say if baiting is legal and it's your cup of tea then knock your socks off. I don't view it as unethical or "slob" hunters that do it. I'm just not crazy about the concept.
To me that style of hunting takes away from a big part of the whole hunting experience. Spending 365 days a year scouting and patterning a big buck is what the hunt is all about IMO. "Feeding deer for the winter untill you decide to take one" seems to me that you're missing out on a lot of what goes on in the woods.
Again I'm not saying my style of hunting is better than anyone elses or baiters are unethical slobs. I just don't see it as the total hunting experience. I prefer the challenge of the whole process rather than just plopping 100 lbs. of corn on the ground and waiting. Perhaps it is more scientific than that. If so I'm all ears as to what else baiting entails.
I have a 360 mile drive to get to where I can hunt deer. Where I live is way to far north for deer, they can't handle the winters up here. Unfortunately that doesn't give me any time to scout or prepare for my one week a year that I have vacation for to go on my hunting trip. Believe me, I would LOVE to be able to spend a few days every week in the woods scouting and just otherwise bumming around learning the patterns and enjoying the experience, but it's simply not possible where I live. And what is the problem with baiting anyway?? Please point out what it is about that statement that you see a problem with. I don't see the harm and would like to see why this is so contraversail. (ok I can't spell)
Old 11-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also bait with corn......it's legal for now in WV. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing to be honest with you. This will be about the 3rd year I have used a feeder. I see more deer now than I ever have while hunting. I have learned a lot from watching them.

I understand some hunters don't care for baiting and I understand why, but it's alot of fun watching deer all day long while in the stand. Do I think I am creating a unfair advantage? Yes, but isn'thunting in general already somewhat unfair when you get right down to it?
Old 11-16-2005, 02:30 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: zekeskar

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

...baiting has a direct effect on deer for us all. So does drives ...

It does make people slob hunters. I know guys who hunt the same stand everyyear. They just sit there. They dont' go out and look for scrapes or rubs, don't go out and hunt the animals. They count on other hunters stirring up the deer...
afew questions for you:

Are you saying drive hunters are slobs?

Are you saying that someone who posts an area in a stand and gets a deer that has been kicked up by someone else is a slob?

Are you saying that legal baiting hunters are slobs?

If any or all of the above are correct, please educate us on the true and pure way to hunt so we can do it right.

yours slovenly,

Not exactly there zeke, but good try on your baiting.

I am saying exactly what the post says. Please reread. Baiting has made several hunters slob hunters IMO. I just can't see Chuck Adams in that picture sitting over 100lbs of corn. I just can't see that.

As far as the pure way. Well, look up the word. Its fairly easy. Walk around, search for clues.Do some scouting.See where you animals have been, where they may be going. They leave several distinct marks and signs. You might be surprised to see how nocturnal you making the big deer withbait piles.

As far as driving, well, people can do what they want, it just does not have a good feel for me. I have been on drives and killed nice deer, but really wasn't proud of it as if I actually hunted it myself. But at least it doesn't get them congrigatingpossibly spreading CWD. So whatever.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:34 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: zekeskar

Big deal, I couldn't care less about your opinion either.
I don't think so there zeke, you asked me how and what so you much care greatly. I know I wouldn't waste my time asking for advise if I didn't.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:36 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

As said before Texas has plenty of baiting, and NO, NONE, CWD!!!!!
I would say not, they arealmost certified by a vet after leavingthier cage. That kinda helps. You know Iam kinda joking. But after a buddy of mine from TX brought me a magizine to show me howalot of the ranches "order these massive" deer,I just thought how sad.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:42 PM

I used to put out apples in the fall, and corn in the winter. I'd hunt about 50 yards from there, because the bucks (big ones) NEVER came near that food during daylight. I saw a lot of does, but after a few years, I eventually gave it up, and just started focusing on routes and scrapes and observed deer movement. I think you could put a dumptruck of corn where I hunt, and you'd only see a few does anyway. I hunt on about 200 acres, and EVERY single farm around this one STILL has acres and acres of standing corn. Maybe in a few weeks baiting would work, but I prefer personally, to tryto score on big bucks, (I take a doe or two for eatin') and I don't see the old boys walkin' in to eat from a pile. I know I"ve read stories and seen pictures that say otherwise, but over the years just found it to be no big advantage.

Quick Reply: Deer Baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.