Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Baiting

Old 11-15-2005, 11:08 PM

Default RE: Deer Baiting

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

...baiting has a direct effect on deer for us all. So does drives ...

It does make people slob hunters. I know guys who hunt the same stand everyyear. They just sit there. They dont' go out and look for scrapes or rubs, don't go out and hunt the animals. They count on other hunters stirring up the deer...
afew questions for you:

Are you saying drive hunters are slobs?

Are you saying that someone who posts an area in a stand and gets a deer that has been kicked up by someone else is a slob?

Are you saying that legal baiting hunters are slobs?

If any or all of the above are correct, please educate us on the true and pure way to hunt so we can do it right.

yours slovenly,
Old 11-16-2005, 01:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Me thinks that people who call 100% legal hunters slobs, mostly do it to inflate their little ego's! That, "I'm a better hunter than you," attitude!
As said before Texas has plenty of baiting, and NO, NONE, CWD!!!!!
Again as others have said, it might be different if there was snow on the ground, there was no other natural food around, and the deer were starving! In that case, the bait would be a "magnet!"
Where I hunt, there aren't many planted crops to hover over, but theres tons of natural foods! So its a grave misconception that "you put out bait just in any old spot, and presto, every deer in the countycomes to it!"
In the end, lots of things could be concidered unethical. In-lines, cross bows, compound bows, scents, decoys, scopes, the small crops that the farmers "happen" to not completly harvest, baiting, food plots, drives! Have I missed much of anything?
Anyway, the Native Americans, which were NOT from India BTW, and also the settlers used most of the above listed hunting methods that were available to them at the time!
The bottom line is; if its legal, you have a choice, if its not legal, you have no choice!
If thinking thatyourhunting methodmakes you so much better,and pumps your ego, by all means, go ahead! Think what you want!
Thinking it, doesn't necesarily make it so!
Old 11-16-2005, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

You cant be serious.

Baiting is a selfish act that only benefits the unethical person doing it. Going to the effort of providing the entire deer herd with beneficial nutrition all year long is quite different. That is why it is legal to hunt next to a corn field but not over a pile of corn.
In all fairness , you can't be serious neither?

Are you trying to imply that the sole reason for landowners planting food plots is to supply the deer with nutrition all year long???
You mean it has absolutely nothing to do with landowners trying to draw deer to their property? Pretty hypocritical to label one a "selfish act" and not the other!
What about the baiters who feed all year long? It's quite common in northern Wisconsin. They feed all year long in hopes of a lower winter kill , which benefits anyone hunting the national forests.

I don't bait myself , but I am soooo sick and tired of seeing thefood plotters thumb their noses at the corn pilers! I know alot of "corn pilers" hunting public land. I also know alot of landowners hunting their food plots. They ALL have the same goal , to attract deer to their neck of the woods. One has the property and the resources to plant a food plot to attract deer. The other doesn't. They both sound like their using resources available to them to attract deer. Are they both selfish? Maybe , but neither should be looking down their noses at the other!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's 11-16-05, you guys should find better things to do.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bait leagally, not just to bring the deer in, but to watch them, and get a CLEAN ETHICAL KILL SHOT. And im a "slob hunter" because I want to make sure the animal I harvest has a quick death?? You bet that this comming saturday Ill be gun hunting over bait. Doesnt mean im takign the first deer that decides its breakfast time. But you can bet if i see horns, its going down on the spot.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:47 AM

Theories abound.
One is that TV hunting shows often depict deer hunters in other states hunting -- legally -- over deer feeders, thus inspiring some Minnesotans.
Another is that deer hunting's increased popularity, attracting some 500,000 Minnesotans a year, has attracted people to the sport who otherwise spend little time in the woods or fields -- people who believe the point of hunting is to shoot a deer (or multiple deer) as quickly as possible, then return home.
These types of deer hunters, the belief goes, are less drawn to the pastime by tradition than by recreational opportunity. They treat hunting in the same terms they consider going to a ballgame, concert or other attraction: something to be done occasionally, while hoping for the greatest visceral return in the shortest possible time.
The above is from the article that a link was provided to in the post that started this thread. I personally don't bait, I don't think it's legal in NE, nor do I know of anybody that does bait, so I'm not going to get into this very heated thread on that matter! What prompted me to jump in this thread was what I highlighted in red in the above quote. I so totally agree with those statement. There is an abundance of people who I believe are into what I term "speed hunting". Saturday Nov. 12th was NE's firearm season opener, and I was hunting some farmground of my neighbor's. About 1:30 or so here are 2 guys with 3 kids with them who have just walked a draw on this land. On the 1st day of the season! Now, I'm not saying this is bad, because I've also been on hunts where we have walked draws...but usually towards the end of the season when the deer just aren't moving and people still want to fill their tags so they can have some meat in the freezer. The thing that kind of irked me about this is that here it was, the 1st day of the season and they've just announced to all the deer that humans have invaded their territory, which is going to cause the deer to move OFF the property more than likely, depending on how much scent was left & where in this draw. Needless to say, I did not hunt the area near that draw Sat. afternoon-evening. I hunted a different draw with what I call success even though I never pulled the trigger. I had a large-bodied, small-racked 4x4 bed downhill from me at about 150 yards for over an hour, and about 45 min. after he left, I had 2 doe in the cornfield surrounding this draw as close as 30 yards for probably and hour & a half. I ended up watching these doe until dark, which is when they left the field, in hopes a nice buck would show up (none did). Now here's where the "speed hunting" really came into play that just ticked me off. A couple of guys stopped in & asked the landowner if they could hunt the field. The owner told them that I was probably on the land somewhere. Did they drive around the field to see if a vehicle was there? NO. They proceeded to drive their LOUD, muffler-falling off truck around the land & all the draws. They started by driving around the draw where I had the buck bedded down the previous night and kicked this same buck out, shot 2 or 3 times, and then I see the buck run over the hill (not shot) and into the draw I was hunting. So here come these 2 guys in their loud truck over the hill. One of them gets out & stands towards the top of the hill, the driver turns around & drives back down the side of a different draw, back to the road, and then all the way around that side of the property so he could drive the draw the buck ran into from the property line to the top of the draw. While this guy is waiting on the hill, he's standing there yapping his jaw on his cell phone, and the deer is probably 75 yards away from him hiding in the draw. Finally the pickup guy shows up, the cell phone yapper walks into the draw & proceeds to harvest the deer after about 3 shots when the buck moved because the pickup spooked him. Now, I don't mind that this guy got deer, or even on that property, I just don't agree with their method of harvesting the buck. Did they do ANY scouting? Nope, they just showed up & drove around the property until something got spooked out of the draw that they could shoot at. In my opinion, this does not a good hunter make. A good shot perhaps, but in my book not a good hunter. I guess at least I can say that the4 deer I have shot did not even know I was there. I shot them in their natural habitat going about their normal business. The 1st one was at a range of about 225 yards in full rut after a hot doe. The 2nd one was walking down a well-used trail. The 3rd one was cruising for doe, and the 4th one I was priveliged enough to watch sparring with another buck for about 20 minutes. To me it is as much fun to see deer going about their business without knowing I'm there as it is to shoot one. It's sad to think that there are a majority of hunters out there that don't take the time to scout a property and pick a place to sit and wait for the deer to appear, as they probably will if you've done your research.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

ummm ok......
Old 11-16-2005, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here We Go Again - Every Year[]

Old 11-16-2005, 10:14 AM

My personal opinion is that I prefer to harvest my game animals in the quickest, most efficient way possible. If I spend 1 day rather than a week getting my meat, I'm happy. I have plenty of other things to do and see hunting as simply an enjoyable way of getting meat that isn't available commercially. So I'm not as worthy a hunter as those of you who would rather do it the hard way and spend a week for no other reason than "I'm doing it the righteous way". Big deal, I couldn't care less about your opinion either.

So I hunt in areas I think will produce animals quickly, huntwith thelegal techniques I think will work best and most efficiently. Use the weapons that will kill quickest, most efficient and humanely,and kill for meat, not style points or antlers.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Anyway whats so bad about feeding dozens of deer and helping them prepare for winter?? And when you do decide to take one you have a nice shot at it to make a clean kill. No suffering and no wasted meat.
This mentality is my problem with baiting.

Let me first say if baiting is legal and it's your cup of tea then knock your socks off. I don't view it as unethical or "slob" hunters that do it. I'm just not crazy about the concept.
To me that style of hunting takes away from a big part of the whole hunting experience. Spending 365 days a year scouting and patterning a big buck is what the hunt is all about IMO. "Feeding deer for the winter untill you decide to take one" seems to me that you're missing out on a lot of what goes on in the woods.
Again I'm not saying my style of hunting is better than anyone elses or baiters are unethical slobs. I just don't see it as the total hunting experience. I prefer the challenge of the whole process rather than just plopping 100 lbs. of corn on the ground and waiting. Perhaps it is more scientific than that. If so I'm all ears as to what else baiting entails.

Quick Reply: Deer Baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.