HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Any good things to eat while in the stand? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/120816-any-good-things-eat-while-stand.html)

veener88 11-12-2005 08:42 PM

Any good things to eat while in the stand?

Well next weekend is going to be my first weekend of deer hunting with a shotgun. I have the shower kit and the soap for my gear to keep the scent down but what I have not been able to figure out is what is good to eat while sitting in your stand? I am afraid of using any kind of vegtable or fruit incase the DNR comes and things I am trying to bait instead of eat. I just have a high matabolsim rate, and I get hungry about every 2 hours even if I have a huge meal. I am just trying to find something to help me out for the 5+ hour spand in the morning so I do not have a huge headache about 3 hour in. I was thinking some Jerky will I thought of how strong the smell was of it.

Thanks for any help on this last little issue.

bristowboy_20 11-12-2005 08:50 PM

RE: Any good things to eat while in the stand?

I dont know about things to eat in ur stand tonot be hungry,BUT I do know something you can eat to stay WARM. those little cinnamon gummy bears can make a person sweat in their treestand even if its 15 degrees out. Ive done it, and so has my brothers. it works, plus they taste good too.

redhawk13 11-12-2005 08:55 PM

I eat a lot of slim jims and beef jerky...

highcountrysp 11-12-2005 09:23 PM

I usually take some rice cakes out. Seems to do the trick.

BarnesX.308 11-12-2005 09:33 PM

I just have a high matabolsim rate, and I get hungry about every 2 hours even if I have a huge meal.
Sounds like you need to pack a roll of toilet paper:D.

I'm a big eater, too. However, I usually just tough it out or go back to camp for lunch. An open-face Dagwood. Ham, Genoa Salami and swiss melted on the broiler....mmm, mmmm.

Nathan67 11-12-2005 11:10 PM

I eat candy bars to hold me over, or breakfast bars. I also keep some sort of fluids in my pack for those long hauls.

Jilorms 11-13-2005 04:02 AM

peanut butter and jelly

kim398pl 11-13-2005 06:24 AM

I eat beef jerky, slim jims, choc covered peanuts or plain penuts, protein bars, breakfast bars. I try to look for something with high protien most of the time. That will help cure a hunggry stomach. Some other things are triail mix, granola bars.

DoctorDeath 11-13-2005 06:37 AM

I like to take a couple of packs of sunflower seeds to the stand with me ... kind of helps me kill time and also helps me focus ...

MASS RULES
DD

Bassman4940 11-13-2005 07:06 AM

Hey Veener,
I wouldn't worry too much about the DNR thinking you are baiting if you have some fruit or veggies to nibble on and to help you stay warm. Now if you carried an entire sack of carrots or something that might be a different story!
I usually take some fruit or granola bars, and a PBJ sandwich to keep the calories up and keep warm. If it's especially cold, I sometimes will bring a small thermos of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate.
Yeah I know they all produce scent, but when it gets so cold that I can no longer sit still, it's time to take a break and drink a hot liquid, then I can sit still and concentrate on looking for deer.
As for the smell, a few years ago the temps were in the single digits and the wind blowing steady, and I needed a quick warm up. I had just poured a cup of coffee and a 7 pointer came in right behind my stand and downwind of me. He either didn't smell it or didn't care, and stood there broadside for an easy 40 yard shot.
Anybody else have a similar experience?