Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Any good things to eat while in the stand? >

Any good things to eat while in the stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any good things to eat while in the stand?

Old 11-13-2005, 06:13 PM

Default RE: Any good things to eat while in the stand?

deer jerkey from last season is the best! i love it
Old 11-13-2005, 06:53 PM

99% of the time I tough it out and don't bring any food/drinks to the stand. I'll have a gatorade in the truck and take a few big gulps before I hit the stand but otherwise, nothing. Maybe this year I'll take some Slim Jim's but make sure to spray them with some Scent-Lok.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:01 PM

You don't eat or drink anything all day? During gun season I sit in my blind from sun up to sun down if can. If I am just going to be out for a few hours I don't bother with anything. But if I go all day without eating or drinking I think I would pass out. I certainly wouldn't be able to make a good shot or drag a deer if I had to.

I have a really fast metabilism though.

Paul
Old 11-13-2005, 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

You don't eat or drink anything all day? During gun season I sit in my blind from sun up to sun down if can. If I am just going to be out for a few hours I don't bother with anything. But if I go all day without eating or drinking I think I would pass out. I certainly wouldn't be able to make a good shot or drag a deer if I had to.

I have a really fast metabilism though.

Paul
Oh no, I don't sit out there for the duration. I hunt from sun-up to about 10-11, go for breakfast and sit until about 1, then head back out until sun-down.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:48 PM

Oh ok, so you are leaving to eat lunch then. That is what I do sometimes since I hunt so close to home. Especially if I have to use the bathroom. I don't mind peeing in a bottle, but I'm not crapping in the woods unless I have to.

Opening day though I'm getting in my blind at 5:30 in the morning and not leaving until the sun goes down. My blind is pretty nice though, it is sealed to the elements and I have a small heater. I also have a padded swivel bar stool with glass windows on every side. It's not like I'm sitting in tree stand during crappy weather or anything.

Paul
Old 11-13-2005, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Oh ok, so you are leaving to eat lunch then. That is what I do sometimes since I hunt so close to home. Especially if I have to use the bathroom. I don't mind peeing in a bottle, but I'm not crapping in the woods unless I have to.

Opening day though I'm getting in my blind at 5:30 in the morning and not leaving until the sun goes down. My blind is pretty nice though, it is sealed to the elements and I have a small heater. I also have a padded swivel bar stool with glass windows on every side. It's not like I'm sitting in tree stand during crappy weather or anything.

Paul
Well, in that case, you might as well nickname your stand "The Condo" like we have in one of our permamnent stands. Although I must say, it is not a cosy compared to yours. Our condo is basically called that because it has a mini-roof in the tree's and because it is roomy. You pretty much have a mini-house in there. All you gotta do is attach an extension chord to a microwave and your set!
Old 11-13-2005, 09:41 PM

Here are some pics of it:

Here is the view:

I don't drive to the blind like that during deer season though. I park about a quarter mile away and walk the rest of way. We built three that are identical and put them on different ends of the 50 acre property, I'm in the back and there is a pond to right of me a few hundred yards away. I joked when we put up that if I didn't think it would mess my hunting up I was going to bring out a generator. The guy that owns the place said if I wanted to pay the electric he would hardwire it for me. I think he was joking, but I'm not sure. I told him I would rough it.

Paul
Old 11-13-2005, 10:46 PM

Boy that stand does stick out like a sore thumb though. LOL. Doesn't matter though, the deer are undoubtedly used to it by now. A very nice stand! Looks cozy too. Excellent views and pics. Thanks Paul!
Old 11-13-2005, 11:50 PM

It blends in pretty well with the trees behind from a distance actually. And like you said, it's been there about 4 years, so it's a fixture now. The tree line infront of me is 80 yards a way and the far corner is 150.

The only down side is if one came up close I wouldn't be able to shoot it because of the height and window placement.

Paul
Old 11-14-2005, 05:37 AM
Spike

Wait a minute... I thought this link was talking about what you eat when you are hunting. How did it make a turn to talking about a deer blind?
Never the less nice blind though, is that a satellite dish I see on the roof?

Quick Reply: Any good things to eat while in the stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.